Quote Originally Posted by Slate_Drake_9 View Post
There hasn't been a slow graphite rod made to my knowledge for quite some time now. If there has, I'd like to know about it. Orvis' original "Trout" 8' 6 weight is a nice slow rod for graphite standards. Mine is from '79. I haven't played with the newer versions of the "Trout" that were made in the 90's and early 2000's, but can say that all of Orvis' rods in the "superfine" series that I came to love in the 80's became medium and fast actioned rods when they went to the sanded and painted blanks. Don't even want to talk about the Trout Bum superfines they make today. They're a disgrace to the superfine name.

Orvis Trident TL 8'4" 3 weight is a nice slow rod, as is the "Tippet" 7'6" 3 weight.

As far as your wet noodle analogy, I'd suggest that you've never had the pleasure of casting a well designed slow action fly rod if that's your impression of a slow rod.

Probably the first time she has been out of the tube in 15+ years. I agree, these old Orvis Superfine rods were SLOOOWWW. I am not calling any rod a broom handle or wet noodle.
Read my first post again. Broom handle to one man, a fast action rod to another.
Slow rod to one man, a wet noodle to another.
To each their own. Some like fast, some like slow.

Good luck, Tony