+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rod holder placement?

Hybrid View

Question rod holder placement?

I took my toon out last wednesday evening to a local watershed that was my favorite fishing hole as a kid. I caught a couple of black perch but it started lightning and I skeedaddled. Anyway, I have a rod holder like this one. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...005000_175-5-3

It holds the rod well and I'm pleased with that, however it does want to slip around the toon, which could mean that I needed to adjust it tighter, so I'm not going to fuss about that just yet. My problem though was where to place it. I'm right handed so I put it on the right toon about where my right knee is. It was a very handy spot for sitting the rod while changeing flies, however it was a terrible place for rowing. It was akward enough that I actually held the rod in my teeth so I could row around. Anyone have any ideas?

thanks in advance,
    hNt

PS, I just realized that some of you may not speak hillbilly. skeedaddle means I tucked tail and ran like a turkey.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I have the rod holder attached just to the left and just behind the seat back to get it out of the way of rowing and right hand casting another rod.

The rod holder I have attaches to the frame. I have seen ones with a strap around the toon get the strap bottom scraped on a rock; slamming the rod in the river.
    Max

Blog Entries

hNt,

I use the Scotty rod holders and I use two of them because I take two rods out with me, one for dry flies and one for streamers. The Scotty rod holder has two straps and they fit tightly around the pontoons. I only use my pontoon on the lakes. On the left side I aim the Scotty so the rod is sticking out over the lake to the left at about a 45 degree angle and I have it mounted far enough forward on the pontoon that it does not disturb my rowing. This is always the rod I am not fishing with. The other rod holder I again have it mounted far enough forward on right side pontoon that it does not disturb my rowing. With the Scotty you can adjust it so the rod is aimed directly behind the pontoon boat and level with the water if you want to troll around a bit. I have seen guys mount their rod holders so the rod sticks out the back, which to me means sooner or later they are going to ram the rod tip into something and break it.

Best bet is to sit in your pontoon boat when you have it at home and play around with the rod holder until yuo find a comfortable spot for it. If you do that out on the water you could end up dropping something overboard.

Have fun.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Normand Guest

would your toon frame accept one of these??

http://creekcompany.com/product.php?...6&cat=0&page=1

in a pinch, i have stuck my rod in one of the storage pockets pointed to the rear of the toon. zip up the pocket and you wont lose the rod

or the rod holder on the right??

http://creekcompany.com/product.php?...cat=255&page=3
    Last edited by Normand; 08-18-2010 at 03:06 PM.

I use the rod holders from Creek Co. like the top link Normand posted.
    Just attach them anywhere there is a spring clip joining the frame sections....or drill the appropriate sized hole and attach with a spring clip wherever you like it.
    Avoid the strap-on holders in a river setting. Scraping rocks, like someone already said, it a disaster waiting to happen.

Mark 1:17

If you're only fishing lakes and ponds try leaving the oars in the car and using fins like you would in a float tube. I've been doing this for the past couple of days and it works like a charm. That way you won't have to worry about rowing, just kick back, and kick.

TT.

Here is where I have mine placed for lake fishing. A double strap Scotty on the right front and a homemade PVC holder attached to a rail on the left rear. The only time the front one is in the way of rowing is while shipping the oars. Then I have to dip the oar a little to get past the holder. You may just need to put yours out a little farther in front of you. I have mine closer to my ankle than my knee. A double strap type might be better for that. To get it tight, cinch it up with the tube slightly deflated. Then top off the air and it will tighten right up.

+ Reply to Thread