+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Trout Bum Rods

Default Orvis Trout Bum Rods

Have any of you used the Orvis "Trout Bum" rods .. their 3 piece. 7ft, 4 weight rod?
    I am looking for a rod like this for an upcoming trip.
    What has been your experience with this rod ... does it cast well in the 20-45 ft range?
    Does it cast well in the "under 20 ft" range?
    Does it Roll Cast OK?
    Thanks
    Ken

[This message has been edited by Ken Corey (edited 13 March 2006).]

I have the Superfine 7/11 4 wt. The Trout Bum has a flex rating of 3.0 while the 7/11's flex rating of 4.5.
    The 7/11 is a soft rod. I have to slow down and go with the rod to cast it effectively. Once in time with it it is fun to fish, kinda like slow dancing instead of boogie. The rod is effective at the ranges you discribe. I have never cast a TB but if the flex rating is to be understood I assume it is a softer rod yet.
    I like a quicker rod for roll casting.

I do have the Trout Bum. It is a four piece however. I don't think Orvis makes a three. It is a full flex 3.0 but I can cast nymphs with no problem. It is my favorite go to rod. Has a boo feel but has the T3 reel seat in black. The great thing is, in the tube it is a little over 2 foot so very easy to back pack.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

4. Default

I cast the trout bum and the 4 wt "one ounce", both 7' for a 4. I ended up with the 4 wt "one ounce" because it has a bit more back bone and fit my casting style better. It's very accurate and will throw dries out to 40' or more easily and will handle weight flies up to size 8 or so well inside 30 -35'. It will roll cast out to 40' easily and with more authority than the trout bum. It just seemed overall crisper than the trout bum (the TB seemed mushy, like it wanted to collapse when pushed). It is a 2 piece if that matters.

Again, to each their own, I also own both and notice very little if any differences. I do like the TB for back packing, but I use my once a lot also. Casting wise I find them equal, same flex feel. The one ounce being a 2 pc. with full flex 4.5 and the Trout Bum being a four piece 3.0 (maybe it is the multi piece thing). As far as roll casting, haven't really though about that, as I said they both perform pretty much the same for me and yes I fish nymphs with both.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fly Goddess (edited 13 March 2006).]

Thanks folks, your input really helps.

Another question ... Have you tried the Orvis 7 ft 4 piece 4wt "Power Matrix"?

Probably comes down to the Power Matrix TLS versus the Trout Bum for me as my travel needs require a 4 piece rod .... a 2 piece rod won't work for me.
    I have not cast the TLS Power Matrix yet but my local store has ordered one for me to try.

Thanks,
    Ken

[This message has been edited by Ken Corey (edited 13 March 2006).]

The Power Matrix would be more versatile. And any of the 4 pc options are good. The 7' mid 6.0 is going to be med. Slower action but not as slow as the TB. That 7'11" 7.5 is a great all around fisher. You do have a tuff decision, but,FWI if "I"
    had a choice of one, it would be the PM 7' 6.0 because you will have more options with it.

------------------

Fly Goddess,

I love your taste in fly tackle. I have my sights set on the Trout Bum for my next self indulgence (the 150th anniversary with the upgraded hardware is especially appealing). I've had a Henry's Fork Superfine for a few years and it's a great fallback when I think the conditions are too severe for cane. What do you use for line on the TB? WF or DT?

Brian

9. Default

One caveat, the "One Ounce" I got was the old "snake belly" superfine but was a new rod which I compared to the TB. It wasn't a new sanded blank version but they're supposed to be the same taper I hear.

Ken,
    You're doing the right thing by casting the rods your interested in. Try to simulate casts you'll actually use in fishing conditions. Pick the rod that suits YOUR style. Hope you pick one that brings you pleaasure on the water.

This thread, like many others, shows the importance of casting a rod before putting cash on the barrel head! I bought 2 rods in my life without casting them first. One, a St. Croix LU is a very good rod but wasn't the best for my purposes. The other came highly recommended on the web forums and it really is, for me, an innacurate, heavy rod that will be donated to Orvis if they run their rod donation program this year.

For me the best rods are the ones I don't have to think about when fishing them. I see the spot where the fly should be and then it's there without a thought. Right now, for me, that rod is a Sage 586 SLT.

Best wishes with your new rod, it's always exciting picking out a new one isn't it?

[This message has been edited by kbobb (edited 13 March 2006).]

CFO123, right now I use either the Orvis Superfine or the Sylk WF, but future I am going to go with DT Sylk and Triangle taper. What I am now using works great, but I really want to try DT and the Wulff is fun. (Got the spools so why not)
    And Kbobb, you got me thinking so I pulled them both out. With no reel or line the one ounce (mine the older - gray and feel the wraps) seems to bounce back quicker, but when loaded up and fish on I agree with Cardiac about the Trout Bum having more back bone.
    Anyway, that is my two cents, but agreeing with kbobb go try them out first. If a rod cost more than $29. "smiling" I would never buy it with out testing it.

------------------

+ Reply to Thread