+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MINIMALISM - Neil - August 16, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default MINIMALISM - Neil - August 16, 2010

MINIMALISM

Have you taken a trip to the grocery store lately? What about the mall, or even your local fly fishing shop? If you have you have undoubtedly noticed that we have too many choices. Take a trip down the cereal aisle at your local food store. How many different 'flavors' of Cheerios? do we need? If you have examined the bins at your local fly shop you might well ask yourself the same question about certain imitations.

Blog Entries

Default Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by rtidd View Post
    MINIMALISM

Have you taken a trip to the grocery store lately? What about the mall, or even your local fly fishing shop? If you have you have undoubtedly noticed that we have too many choices. Take a trip down the cereal aisle at your local food store. How many different 'flavors' of Cheerios? do we need? If you have examined the bins at your local fly shop you might well ask yourself the same question about certain imitations.

Neil...

I couldn't agree with you more.

It didn't take me too long to question the exact same thing you're writing about. In fact, the idea of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) is a mantra we should all use not only in fishing, but in life as well. ESPECIALLY..in life!
    I mean, how many patterns do you really need in order to catch fish?
    I can pick a handful of patterns, and know that they'll work in any situation. Well...MOST of the time.

Do you really need floatant?...a hydropack?.....a wading staff with a compass and an l.e.d light by the handle?....

I remember fishing one day and sulphurs were out and about. My mentor after we finished said:
    " I've got to go into town to get sulphur dubbing."
    " Why don't you just use yellow, like a pale morning dun or something close to it?", I replied.
    " No", he said, "It's GOT to be SULPHUR!"
    So the next day out, there they were again, the sulphurs, and I managed to catch a trout.
    "Whatd'ya catch it on?", he asked.
    "Some fly with yellow dubbing."
    He didn't seem too excited with that response.

Make the most of what little you have. You'll be amazed with the results.
    Heck, I've been 'making it' with the little amount of grey matter between my ears for YEEEARS, and...if only you can see me now...
    Then again you might turn to the other way! HA!HA!

Cheers,
    Bad Luck Larry

I wish it was not so ,but more and more of my fly fishing is on trips which means I take lots of flies ,and usually have to resort to my fly tying kit to bail me out. As far as gear i don't often carry much but always have a netand a wading staff in my traveling duffle bag. if conditions warrant I will carry one or both. I use my net on most trips with a white nylon stretched over it to collect bugs

The intent of the article was not to cause people to leave their wading staff, landing net or other essential equipment at home. When I look at all the stuff most anglers carry - and that includes myself - I wonder how much of that stuff they [me] really ever use? How many flies are in your fly box that have never been on the water? How often - say in the last several fishing trips - have you used that gadget that is hanging on your zinger? If we honestly answered those questions we might be inclined to carry less stuff and really be able to concentrate on catching fishing and less time rummaging though stuff.

I love to be able to cut down on stuff, but when it comes to flies, I guess I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm not so worried about what flies never saw the water, but did I have the right one's that did? Thanks for the information.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread