Quote Originally Posted by rtidd View Post
MINIMALISM

Have you taken a trip to the grocery store lately? What about the mall, or even your local fly fishing shop? If you have you have undoubtedly noticed that we have too many choices. Take a trip down the cereal aisle at your local food store. How many different 'flavors' of Cheerios? do we need? If you have examined the bins at your local fly shop you might well ask yourself the same question about certain imitations.

Neil...

I couldn't agree with you more.

It didn't take me too long to question the exact same thing you're writing about. In fact, the idea of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) is a mantra we should all use not only in fishing, but in life as well. ESPECIALLY..in life!
I mean, how many patterns do you really need in order to catch fish?
I can pick a handful of patterns, and know that they'll work in any situation. Well...MOST of the time.

Do you really need floatant?...a hydropack?.....a wading staff with a compass and an l.e.d light by the handle?....

I remember fishing one day and sulphurs were out and about. My mentor after we finished said:
" I've got to go into town to get sulphur dubbing."
" Why don't you just use yellow, like a pale morning dun or something close to it?", I replied.
" No", he said, "It's GOT to be SULPHUR!"
So the next day out, there they were again, the sulphurs, and I managed to catch a trout.
"Whatd'ya catch it on?", he asked.
"Some fly with yellow dubbing."
He didn't seem too excited with that response.

Make the most of what little you have. You'll be amazed with the results.
Heck, I've been 'making it' with the little amount of grey matter between my ears for YEEEARS, and...if only you can see me now...
Then again you might turn to the other way! HA!HA!

Cheers,
Bad Luck Larry