Thread: From a Newbie to the Newbies "The best advice I can Give"

Threaded View

Default From a Newbie to the Newbies "The best advice I can Give"

Golden Girl #2 002.jpgSilver Satan.jpgHydro 2 002.jpgCrinsom Glory 004.jpgCopper Killer 2.jpg

Gents I had planned to make this post earlier but was unsure how to approach it so it would make sense, It seems chronologically is best

Prior to February of this year I dabbled in Fly angling mainly for Shad because my Brother in law gave me a deadly fly that would outfsh anything else but Salmon and Trout were way out of my league.

June of last year i joind a Fly Fishing forum with a small group of local dedicated flyfishers as members, read a lot interacted enough to realize I did not have a clue and started to really understand the concept and rational behind fly fishing.( No i is not all about catching fish) Also started at this point in getting geared up with equipment for what was to come based on information and discussions by the members of the forum.

Janruary this year two great events 1- was invited on a trip by a licensed guide to one of the greatest Salmon Rivers in the World The Mirimichi River in NB 2- was given free of charge a vice and a selection of materials to get me started on fly tying..Never had a clue even how to put a hook in a vice up to this point.

February attended a local fly tying night in my hometown with 6 other people(one of whom has become my self appointed mentor)thankfully he does not mind.. and tied my first salmon hairwing The Ross Special with the assistance of four of the six people in attendance.

April joined my first fly swap and The Ross Special was my fly of choice and probably will be sentimentally for the rest of my life. Swap was great and received many words of support from the other tyers post swap.( Only due this if you can take a lot of pressure (self inflicted) of course)

June joined another swap and the pressure was still there but at a much more reduced level with the Hairwing the Copper Killer( notice the theme) Hairwing again.

July went on the most amazing fishing trip (pics postedin the the thread unbeleivable first experience) and was taught more in three days than I would have learned on my own in ten years. I even tie my own tapered leaders and actually know what to look for and how to approach angling for one of the greatest(IMO) gamefish in the world the Atlantic Salmon. Succesful fishing as well with four grilse.

Also in July hooked the first fish on a fly I tied myself (a beautiful 3 lb Brook Trout on a #4 Blue Charm on the Magaree river in CB.

Also lost more fish on the Magaree (but that is fishing)

So here it is August and I am back at work (away from home) dreaming of being on the river and doing the only thing I can do tie flies(not as bad as that sounds).

So to the advice part

#1 Surround yourself ith other fishers( they are wonderful people and love teaching)
    #2 Join a forum there is no better way to research
    #3 Be quiet and listen (learn from others experiences and wisdom)
    #4 Stay at it it is a learning curve but this can be shotrtened greatly by following steps 1 ,2 and 3
    #5 Love what you are doing respect the fish and their enviorment and most of all thank god you have found the wonderful world of flyfishing.

PS it is never too late This all happened for me at the age of 44

Here are a few pics of my flies that I have tied lately, Remember it has only been six months since I picked up a bobin.
    Last edited by Stage 1; 08-14-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Spelling errors(moher was a grammar teacher)