+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aluminum Compartment Dry Fly Boxes

Hybrid View

Default Aluminum Compartment Dry Fly Boxes

I have recently been looking at Wheatley fly boxes. I like the traditional old school look and function. I am most interested in the classic 32 compartment dry fly box. It is just a cool box. I just don't think I could actually shell out over $200 for a fly box even if it lasted for 40 years. I have been doing a little research and have looked at the Wheatley knock-off brands, but I haven't found anyone who offers a 32 compartment option. Does anyone know of such an animal? If so, I would appreciate some information to push me in the right direction.

I have, and use, an Okuma 16 window box and have found it to be quite adequate. Mine has a flat piece of foam on one side and the windows on the other side. They're quite a bit more affordable than the Wheatleys. You might want to consider Okuma.
    FLY BOX
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default Only 8

Attachment 5588
    Attachment 5589
    This one only has 8 compartments but it's big and there's about 100 flies in there now.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Last edited by MontanaMoose; 08-14-2010 at 02:51 AM.

No such puppy! They are all 16 comp. with either flat foam or ripple foam or the old "clips" Bob Marriots has them, "The Fly Shop" has them as do most others. I have searched everywhere for one also and have not found one in a couple years of looking! I bought the ones from the fly shop . they are a brown anodized finish. The Okuma is available in black or silver
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

DSCN0376.jpgI use to collect old fly boxes, but sold my entire collection out a few years back (wish I didn't now, but oh well).
    Any how, I gave my Son an Okuma Fly Box when he graduated from high school.
    In my opinion, it's the best box out there for the price (and only box that I know of).
    Here are some picsof his box.
    DSCN0384.jpgDSCN0379.jpgDSCN0377.jpg
    DSCN0378.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Cavitt View Post
    I have recently been looking at Wheatley fly boxes. I like the traditional old school look and function. I am most interested in the classic 32 compartment dry fly box. It is just a cool box. I just don't think I could actually shell out over $200 for a fly box even if it lasted for 40 years. I have been doing a little research and have looked at the Wheatley knock-off brands, but I haven't found anyone who offers a 32 compartment option. Does anyone know of such an animal? If so, I would appreciate some information to push me in the right direction.
    Shane,

PM sent...

PS: there are two listed here NIB for $150.00...

http://www.tradenstuff.com/GearList.htm

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 08-14-2010 at 02:45 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

I have one each of Wheatley and Okuma compartment boxes. Sad to say, the Okuma is better built, let alone being a better buy. The clips holding the lids tend to give up on their own from time to time, letting lids fly open- and flies to "fly". Not so Okuma.

Chuck

Cabela's sells a 40 compartment box. I agree on the Okuma vs Wheatley comparison.

I have a couple Okuma boxes, and for the most part, really like them. However ... what do you do to repair a box when the little clip thingie breaks?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

When the exchange rate is favorable like it is now, buy your Wheatley boxes directly from Wheatley from their UK website like I do.

http://www.richardwheatley.com/

At the current exchange rate a 32 compartment 1609 will run you about $100. You don't pay the VAT and the shipping from the UK is really reasonable and doesn't take too long. You will pay your credit card company an currency exchange fee of a few bucks but you still will save a TON over the inflated fly shop prices.

Wheatley service is excellent too!

+ Reply to Thread