+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spey Rig is ready for action

Default Spey Rig is ready for action

I finnally got my 15'Spey Rod of my dreams and got my Large Arbour Phfleuger (no name Japanese) Reel full of 20# backing and WF 9/10 Fly Line and gonna bust it out this weekend at a local pond and gonna see what it'll do.
    Spent a days wages to have this reel serviced so I think it'll be ok.

I been watchin Spey casting instructions on YouTube almost every day for 2 months and I think I can do it and gotta say I am so excited I cant hardly stand it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I get out there and make foola myself like fall in or slip into the mud.....or make the dogs bark at me or sompthin....lol
    Thanks
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

Just have fun. You'll do fine. Try to remember that you didn't make a fool of yourself when you learned to ride a bike or swim.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Thanks Lotech,
    Mama always said I was like a frog from the time I was born.....and that was in the toilet at the Hospital.....she said I could do the backstroke from the very 1st minute i was born but was kinda mad cuz the water was cold....
    Yea i think I will practice on Sunday after dark under the lights.....shouldnt be anyone out there.....
    Dont have a fishin licsense yet....so I'm gonna tie sompthin on a large saftey pin,thatway I wont or shouldnt get a fine for no fishing license.
    Last edited by jeffro; 08-18-2010 at 11:36 PM.

As far as I know, they don't give tickets for casting practice if there is no hook.
    Unless they call it spawning ground harassment. Best advice---check your regs and call your game dept.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Yea I'm gonna call and just see if casting on county ponds is ok to just practice

Hi Jeffro, the only advice I can give is SLOW DOWN, the casting stroke is much slower with 2 hands than with one, remember you are not keeping the line in the air during the cast. If you have a video camera film yourself and then when you watch it later you can really see what is going wrong if anything.
    Start with just Roll casting then try a switch cast and once you can smoothly switch cast add a change of direction and you have a single spey.
    Have fun and let us know how you go.
    All the best.
    Mike

Thanks Mike,
    I still havent gotten a chance to try it out .....its either too windy or too tierd from work or like today had 2 Dr oppointments so I will just have to wait till the right time and then make a day of it......its a shame we dont have many trees to block the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
    Thanks Mike,
    I still havent gotten a chance to try it out .....its either too windy or too tierd from work or like today had 2 Dr oppointments so I will just have to wait till the right time and then make a day of it......its a shame we dont have many trees to block the wind.
    Hi Jeffro, no trees to block the wind just means you will be used to casting in the wind for a trip to NZ where it always blows!
    All the best.
    Mike

I finally went for a practice run at the pond and was very very windy so I got it behind me.
    Did perty good for the 1st time.....made some mistakes and looked perty stupid but I didn't much care. it was fun until I got slapped in the cheek a couple a times....I cut the shanks off of 2 large flies and am glad I did cuz they will slap ya good...lol....

I could only get out and lay straight about 100 feet of line.
    My Roll cast were easy but when I started switching and crossing, is where I would start getting short runs of line....
    Now that I tasted it I can watch some more stuff on You Tube and see what I was doing wrong......
    It felt like my rod Tip was too flimsy and needs to be more stiff if that makes any sence....so that it will shoot harder .
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

The tip section does tend to feel soft, but the secret I found for me is to perform a smooth casting stroke. Watch videos on Youtube by Mike Kinney. Here is one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipiJHAHVXVk
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread