+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cree???

Hybrid View

Default Cree???

I was look at some patterns recently and it called for Cree? I'm not sure what this is.
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Try this

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/cree.php

I fixed it for you.
    Denny
    Last edited by tailingloop; 08-12-2010 at 04:17 AM.

sometimes they're called barred ginger, barred white, etc., etc.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

If you don't need to pay the price for cree, just tie with a mix of brown/grizzly, or ginger/grizzly. High quality hackle in those colors is readily available and affordable. I've got 2 cree capes, a Metz #2 and one from Charlie Collins; the Metz is neat to look at but nothing special to tie with, the Collins has nice hackle but is really more of a barred ginger in the smaller feathers. I also have a barred cream from Collins that looks like a faded cree; I really like that one. Unless you're trying to be historically accurate for some specific patterns or have unlimited cash, go with the mixes; fish don't seem to care.

Regards,
    Scott

The difference in in a Cree hackle is the addition of the white barring I believe? I have a Metz Cree and a Whiting Barred Ginger variant look-alike......no white in the Barred ginger variant. Aside form that it takes a 2nd look.

Denny just sold one, but this image should give you another pretty good idea of "Cree". Classified section of the BB.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ature-Hen-Sold
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

I love looking at and using Cree, it gives a segmentation that others don't. My favorite neck is a dun Cree I bought from Collins.

Current Bronze Cree Neck & Silver Cree Saddle

Close up of Current Neck

Close up of Current Saddle

Older Whiting Cree Saddle

Close up of older saddle

I believe a Cree is is cross between Coachman Brown and Grizzly. If you will look at the feathers in the neck/saddle that have not crossed, you will see Grizzly and Coachman Brown/Furnace feathers. If I recall correctly, Tom Whiting, the owner of Whiting said that only 10% of this cross results in an acceptable neck and saddle. Whiting destroys the other 90% of the cross.

There is a neck/saddle that is Barred Ginger. I would not term this a Cree. I believe a true Cree is Coachman Brown and Grizzly so that you can tie an Adams with a single hackle rather than using a combined Coachman Crown and Grizzly Hackle.

Although Cree is difficult to obtain, from talking to some experts in hackle, they say the rarest quality hackle is NOT Cree but Dun. It is much easier to get a quality Cree because it is a cross of two colors of hackle that already both have excellent stem and barb quality. But Natural Dun has poorer quality stems and hackle barbs and the only way to get a good quality NATURAL dun is by breeding the line. That is why quality stem Dun is the hackle color that is often not natural but dyed to get quality hackle.

So I wonder about that "Dun" Cree. I've never seen one and I wonder about the stem and barb quality on it. How is the quality compared say to a Grizzly or Brown from the same breeder?

What are the views of others on the quality of Dun hackle?
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread