+ Reply to Thread

Thread: furled leaders

Default furled leaders

What is the best line to use for my leaders?

Hey Joe;
    Welcome aboard!!
    Joe just furled up his first leaders Sunday so he's going to have a lot of questions.

A lot of us use Uni Tying Thread for Dry Fly leaders. There are other threads to try and half the fun of making furled leaders is trying different materials.

Hey thanks for the info I have already tried mono, mono thread,and fluorcarbon so far I like them all, the brands I have used are berkley trilene,berkley vanish,and spiderwire ez mono.

You can use just about any material that is use to make thread, I perfer to use "Mercerized Cotton". There are many people who are into furled leader constructions and design.

Actually I have somewhat of a fan base on another site that is just crazy over my Big Furled Leader Formula, that I was going to write about for FAOL, before I was booted the the late James Castwell over some miss understandings between us. He is no longer here, so I came back. Try the url connection below, there is tons of information there, all about furled leaders.

http://www.furledleaders.co.uk/

One of my new favorites is transparent nylon made by Coats & Clark and sold at craft stores for sewing. It comes in a size .005 and makes a very supple leader. It also comes in a 300 yd spool for about 2 bucks so thats a big plus also.

Liljoe,

Hey, Joe, welcome to FAOL. I met you at one of our Lynchburg Fly Fishing Club meetings down on the Duck River. You were with your Dad. I came to Bellbuckle with Jack one day and assisted with showing you how to make a furled leader. You make very good coffee and you are a very good fly tyer!! I hope to be able to fish with you one day.

As far as what material you need to use for your furled leaders, it would depend a lot on what type of fly fishing you do. Those who fish only dry flies like the Uni 6/0 tying thread furled leaders. Some like the Coats & Clarke 100% nylon quilting thread which comes in .004 and .005 diameter. It can be purchased at any store that sells sewing supplies. For myself, I only use Berkley Vanish Transition in the 4 pound test. Notice that I use "Transition" and not the Berkley Vanish. The Transition Berkly sinks much faster than the regular Vanish does. I very seldom use dry flies so I want my furled leader to sink and take my tippet and flies deeper. I fish nymphs, streamers and swing wet flies for most of my fly fishing. You will need to determine your style of fly fishing first and then pattern your furled leaders to meet it. You will fine that making furled leaders is a lot of fun and addictive!

I am very happy that you joined FAOL and I know that you will fine "tons" of information here in the archives.

Enjoy yourself and welcome.

Hope to see you soon.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thumbs up

"Liljoe" also joined us in the chat room this evening, nice to see some new blood in there too!
    As warren stated we met "Liljoe" through the Lynchburg Fly Fishing Club a couple of years ago.
    Today you will find him making coffee in his folks shop "DesignZ by You - Coffee By Us" in Bell Buckle, Tennessee. He started fly fishing when he was about 7 or 8 and tying flys about the same time.
    I had the pleasure of giving him and his dad some instructions on rod building this past Saturday and then doing some furled leaders on Sunday. I understand he caught some Blue Gills with the new rod already!
    Give a big welcome to this outstanding young man and great fly fisher, tier. rod builder and furler.

+ Reply to Thread