+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tenkara Style Flies

Hybrid View

Default Tenkara Style Flies

Tenkara style fishing, including the use of the traditional loop rod, must be gaining in popularity in the UK. Davie McPhail has a video showing how to tie a Tenkara style fly. http://www.youtube.com/user/DavieMcPhail#p/u

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Default Tenkara; "from the heavens, or "from the skies"

Tenkara more than two centuries ago, it was first written about in 1878 by Ernest M Sato (a British Diplomat) in his book "Diary of climbing Mt. Tateyama". Tenkara was most used by professional fishermen harvesting smaller fish of the region from small streams. The fishing rods were made from bamboo, and the line was attached to the tip of the tapered bamboo. The flies were constructed on sewing needles that has been heated and then bent, so that the bend needles became what most of call eyeless hooks.

Tenkara fishing poles were constructed from a single young bamboo shoot (not the big bamboo culms that that the western world uses for their bamboo fly rods. The length of the bamboo shoot used depends on the stream that was going to be fished. Some bamboo shoots were as long as 15 feet in length, and the fishing line was equal to the length of the bamboo shoot. A furled leader is a suitable leader to use for Tenkara. Any fly rod that is 9 feet in length, or a spey fly rod can be used for fishing Tenkara. There is no need for a reel or weighted fly line. Even those 12-foot cane pole used for bobber fishing for panfish will work fine for a Tenkara Rod. The angle of the fishing rod/pole is held at a 45-degree angle to the water surface, and the fly line/furled leader extends out at at a 45-degree angle from the fishing rod/pole. The submerged Tenkara style fly is work in the subsurface with a upward and downward movement of the rod tip, to simulate a emerging aquatic bug.

The fly patterns in Japan, vary from the regions and the streams fished. Material for the fly patterns can be sometimes very unusual, such as the "cotton of flowering fern". Fly patterns are basically what we refer to as either Wet Flies, Nymphs or Emergers. A little known aspect of fly fishing was discover by the Tenkara Anglers, that a dry fly would be spat out by a fish in a time span of 0.2 - 0.3 seconds. While a submerged Wet/Nymph/Emerger the time span was 0.6 - 0.9 seconds. The use of a submerged pattern gave the angler a better chance of setting the hook.

My favorite site for the past 12 years is Mr. Yoshikazu Fujioka's "My Best Streams"

http://www.amago.jp.lv/b-streams/flytying/tenkara.html

Over the years others sites have appeared on the internet, but Mr. Fujioka's was the first and in my opinion is still the past. when viewing his site some of the words are in blue, click on for find a hidden article that you will not be able to locate if you only use the options at the bottom of each page. ~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 08-11-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    Tenkara style fishing, including the use of the traditional loop rod, must be gaining in popularity in the UK. Davie McPhail has a video showing how to tie a Tenkara style fly. http://www.youtube.com/user/DavieMcPhail#p/u

REE
    Davie is in my top three all time tiers category. He does a fantastic job of teaching while tying even if the accent did take some getting use to - ha.

Normand Guest

That is one beautiful fly!

Hey Ron (or anyone else), is there any way for you to summarize why the fly is tied essentially "backwards"? The forward-facing hackle and wing coming out the front gets more movement perhaps?

Zac
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Normand Guest

a little research on GOOGLE found this interesting reading material for reverse hackle flies or "Sakasa Kebari"

http://www.tenkarabum.com/sakasa-kebari.html

Normand, while that was indeed an interesting read, I didn't see that it really answered my question. I'm looking for the reasoning behind the reverse hackle... What exactly makes it better than "normal"?
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

+ Reply to Thread