+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NO FINESSE ANGLING - Neil - August 9, 2010

Blog Entries

Default NO FINESSE ANGLING - Neil - August 9, 2010

NO FINESSE ANGLING

There are innumerable fly fishing article about the skill, attention to detail, delicacy, and precision casting necessary to be a successful fly flinger. One of the great things that happens during the ?dog days? of summer is the ability to spend a day fly fishing without all the fancy casting skills and hatch-matching skills that are the hallmark of much of what we call fly fishing.

Good for you Neil, I always enjoy your perspective.A mindless way to fish is always a treat for me although I don't consider it mindless. It all boils down to presentation and casting doesn't it? These are the fun parts I like the best about this sport.
    So how an where does the expression "dog days" come from? I looked it up for everybody and so here you go folks:
    http://wilstar.com/dogdays.htm
    Last edited by hairwing; 08-11-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: oops
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Hairwing,

Thanks for the compliment. My idea of 'mindless' fly fishing is that type of fishing where I am unconcerned about matching the hatch, wondering if they are taking an emerger, and, if so, are they taking them in the film, just below the film, 2 inches below the film, etc, or are they taking a cripple or maybe just the nymph! Yes, in fishing terrestrials you still have to cast but even the presentation can be somewhat haphazard since terrestrials don't belong in the water and they act like it when they find themself taking an unintended bath. About all that is required is getting the fly on the water where a trout might be lurking. Give him an ant, a beetle, a hopper, or anything else that resembles a landlubber and you should see some results. That's my idea of mindless fly fishing.

Neil

+ Reply to Thread