+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: furled leader material

Default furled leader material

I read an article about furled leaders and I am going to try to make a furled leader out of monofilament. Can someone advise as to what diameter, extra limp or not limp, a specific brand, etc. monofilament. Thanks.
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of thread and mono?

Blog Entries

As far as mono goes, Stren or Berkley Trilene have both performed as well as any. One thing to watch out for with mono is that if you don't police line tension throughout all phases of building the leader, including inital removal from the board for the final "spinout" it can develop little pigtails. These are sometimes easy to pull out sometimes not so easy. They have never affected casting or fishing but they are a tiny bit ugly in the overall symmetrical view.

What the other guys were saying about thread is true, thread is much limper, no memory and within reason can be just as tough as mono.

I personally like Uni 3/0 but you may find another thats better for you. This is a land of personal experimentation. Whats best for me may be useless for you.
    Good luck!

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:ac02e]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:ac02e]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

I've been using 2 lb test mono. It isn't as limp as the thread leaders, but it does the job. I also furl with thread, and would say that each has its advantages and disadvantages.

For furled leaders, I'm using transparent nylon from Coats&Clark (used for quilting), it has a 0.005 diameter and is very limp and elastic. It sells for a few $ in any sewing store in 300 Yds bobbins. You can make a lot of leaders for almost nothing.

I've been using 1 and 2 lb mono for most of mine, I've experimented with flouro, and some tippet materials, threads, and "superlines".

I've found for my uses, that the mono is the cheapest and easiest to work with to get results that I like.

pechetruite
    I tried one this weekend out of the 0.004, but I did one side with the clear and one with the dark. Came out really cool, like camo. Haven't tried it on the water yet but man it is a nice taper.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

dfly,

I make mine from the following material:

Coats & Clark transparent nylon - it comes in clear and smoke plus in 2 diameters of .004 and .005

Berkley Vanish in color green and 4 pound test

Cabela's clear fluorocarbon in 4 pound test

6/0 tying thread

Kevlar tying thread

Kevlar, Cabela's fluorocarbon, Berkley Vanish and Coats & Clark nylon will all sink and make good wet fly, nymphs and streamer furled leaders. The Coats & Clark transparent nylon makes a very small in diameter furled leader that (in my opinion without testing) I think would float if a floatant was applied to it.

6/0 tying thread will float after being treated with floatant

All of the above materials make very good furled leaders and they all have there place in fly fishing depending on your style of fishing.

Have fun!!

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I tried various materials over the years and like the UNI 6/0 best for most of my fishing, trout leaders 7'-6" to 12'-0" long, 6x to 4x tippets. Comes in many colors, including hot pink for strike indicators. I get about 2 1/2 leaders per spool.

For those who are interested here is a short list of other materials I have tried...

clear mono sewing thread = too difficult to work with, breaks and tangles easily.

STREN 1 lbs/2 lbs spin casting line = doesn't hold paste float as well as the uni 6/0

tippet material = too expensive, harder to work with.

silk sewing thread = extremely limp, not as strong as uni 6/0, can be damaged by mildew and sunlight.

Danville 6/0 tying thread = too limp for my taste, although some friends prefer it.

How about power pro?

If you guys think PP is tiff than the thread you are using must be really really limp

Tell me about it! Its like 20 and up bucks for a spool.

+ Reply to Thread