Thread: Hook eyes, up, straight or down.

Threaded View

Default Hook eyes, up, straight or down.

Lately I have been re-reading many of the 19th century books on fly fishing and dressing, and in the process, I have been comparing the hooks used with the types prefered by modern anglers. I came to the conclusion that most anglers, ancient and modern went with the hook recommended in the recipe. This appears very true of modern dressers even with the large range and variation of hooks available.
    Although the 19th century fly dressers had a very much more limited range of hooks available. I had assumed that was the reason for very small flies on standard (at the time) size hooks. On second thoughts, the fact that heavy hooks, relative to the fly size, helped to sink the flies more quickly. They did not have the lead wire or metal beads available now-a-days.
    This applies to the Clyde and especially to the Tummel style flies.
    Whilst dressing the North Country spiders etc, I was struck by the fact that the originals were tied on eyeless hooks with the gut straight in line with the hook. I took the advice of Roger Fogg in his book A Handbook of North Country Trout Flies, acquired some s/e bait hooks, dressed a series of spiders on them. They certainly looked good, but I am not sure if they fished any better or caught more fish. I decided to do the same with my soft hackle nymphs and West Country wets.
    Since reading the early books on dry fly, (Halford etc), I have developed some purist tendencies about up eyed hooks .
    Well, after that long spiel, does anyone else have any opinions or was this all just a rant in the wilderness to an indifferent world.

By jings, I feel much better for that!!!
    Last edited by Donald Nicolson; 08-08-2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: bad spacing
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/