+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hope to Get to Fish

Default Hope to Get to Fish

Hi all,

I have been on call a lot for work, have had several "have to do" items on Saturdays, it has been pretty hot here lately, and consequently have hardly had a chance to fish in the last 2 to 3 months.

Hopefully that can get turned around and I may even try it for a few minutes this evening. I have seen quite a few quite small medium ginger winged ants in our small above ground pool, and may tie a couple or three up and try them this evening.

Hopefully you all are getting out more often than I am.

Regards,

Gandolf

I hope you got out yesterday evening and are heading out today too. I go fairly often but lately the 'Saturday have to do's' are taking over and they run into Sunday. I free myself up at least twice a week though and it's amazing how just a few hours on stream or lake can refresh me and somehow make me anxious to get back to my chores.

Luck !

MontanaMoose

Gandolf,

Where were you thinking of going? We still need to try and get together.
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Hi Raiderhunter,

I had hoped to go out to the stilling basin at Meridith, but it didn't work out for me to go.

It would be great to get together and give it a go. In the next few weeks I have a lot of irons in the fire, but hope to be able to go when the weather cools down a bit, and hope that things will slow down a bit for me. I did tie a few of the ants, and hope to get to try them in the next few days in the evening after work.

Regards,

Gandolf

Gandolf,
    Same thing over here on the right side. It's either 60 hr work weeks, or just to damned hot. I got out last weekend for a couple of hours, and like to have ended up with heatstroke. The couple of fish I caught helped, tho. I think I'm going to try to get out about daybreak tomorrow down at the creek.
    Good luck getting out.

Kirk

Default Finally Got Out

Hi All,

This evening I finally got to get out for an hour or a bit more this evening. Fished the Lake Meridith stilling basin. It is hard to fish, lots of cat tails around about 2/3rds of the bank. I did fish from the fishing dock for a while.

The ant did not go, nor did an olive and orange.

Just about dark I saw a hex spinner on the water, and a few in the air. The one in the water was a flourescent yellow. No spinners were in my box, but I did have some hex dries, so I put one on. By then it was dark, and mosquitoes were coming in in waves. I have a small flashlight in the box, so fired it up, but the batteries were pretty weak so it took quite a while to tie on the fly and treat it with fly float.

Finally I got the fly onto the water. Fish were breaking water, but I couldn't see any hexes, and the swirls were small like small fish taking midges or something similar. Every once in a while you would see a bigger swirl, but not many.

By casting toward the west, you could see the fly as a dark spot on the water against the light color water where the sky was reflected. Finally, a swirl, and I set the hook. I couldn't really feel much of a fish, but there seemed to be one on. After a bit I landed the monster, and only fish of the trip. Cool, a 5 or 6 inch channel cat on a #6 or #8 hex dry.

Maybe I may be able to get out on Saturday morning for a bit, it remains to be seen.

At least, fishing, and a fish!

Regards,

Gandolf

one's better than none and at least you finally got out!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread