Some of you will remember that I am sure I am allergic to lightning and want to avoid the terrible rash it can cause. A little research just told me on average we get rain 120 days per year and thunder 50 - 60 days per year. I learned years ago that thunder is caused by lightning superheating the air suddenly. With the data above, you can understand my concern about getting caught as the highest point on a body of water.

Last Sunday afternoon after by 3/4 mile hike (approaching 90 degrees and 60% humidity) with 30 lbs. of float tube and equipment, I sat down by the river (my anti-perspirant had totally failed me) to put on my waders, etc., when I heard it thunder in the east. Thinking weather usually moves west to east around here, I got into the river and fished my little section of the river, a couple of hundred yards before reaching the take out it start thundering back from the west. I kicked it up a notch and got out. Now while floating in the river the banks are probably on average 10 ft. above water level and are tree lined on each side. The river is 100 ? 150 ft. wide. The question is do the tree offer a good degree of lightning protection for anyone in the river? What if any would be effect on someone floating in the river if a tree on the bank is struck?

I go and contribute to the church regularly, am true to my wife and do not drink excessively, just in case you were thinking of those factors.