+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anchor placement on a pontoon

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderthumbs View Post
    what do you use for storing the line?

I'm curious about how people store the anchor line. I now only coil the line as best as I can and pile it up on the standing platform (I have a scadden boat with a through the frame anchor line pulley system). For my kayak, I use a divers safety line reel, anyone else use something like that?

Something like this:

That divers safety line looks like a great idea! I may have to see about something like that. Although I do understand the safety of having your line free in case of an accident...I just hate the thought of having anchor line loose all over the place.

Thanks,
    TT

I have to admit that I never used the downrigger as an anchor system in moving water. It worked great for ponds and lakes, but in moving water it could easily lead to disaster.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I'm going to be doing a little of both...so I might have to see about rigging something up that will be easy to manage in both. Maybe a small tote under the seat to store the line in.

TT

In the back of my head came a recommendation by seeming knowledge angler to use eye-bolts or something similar, as rope (line) can jam between the roller and side of a pulley in many cases. For line 1/4" or less I would think strongly about that recommendation.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hextall View Post
    I'm curious about how people store the anchor line. I now only coil the line as best as I can and pile it up on the standing platform (I have a scadden boat with a through the frame anchor line pulley system
    Hextall, on my Scadden I just put the line in the side saddle.

Just a note:
    If you use an anchor, you MUST keep a rope knife handy!!!

If (and when) you get hung up in current, you will have to cut the rope. ... I use Gerber rescue knives. Best 30$ life insurance you'll ever find!
    Christopher Chin

I have a Scadden Outlaw X5 and it has the thru the frame anchor system. I used it last year on stillwaters when I just used the oars or the Minn Kota motor. This year I put a 5 hp Nissan on it and thought I better do something else. For years I've used Scotty rod holders on all my boats. I usually carry 3 rods and now 2 anchors when needed.
    I knew Scotty made an anchor lock system so I bought a couple. The first couple pictures are of the back of the boat so you could see the deck setup. The neat thing about the Scotty set up is the anchor lock uses the same base that the rod holders use. I put the anchor lock where the Bugger Barn is at in the picture.

I pulled the flag sticker off and that's where it mounts.

Shots of the rod holders and anchor lock.

And one for the front. This comes with the anchor lock, or you can get a counter sunk type of base.

The good thing about this is, I also have a NFO Escape float tube and it works with it too.
    All the rod holders and anchor locks are quickly removable. I put them all in a bag with my sonar and transducer.

Very slick! I had a look at my frame yesterday and I think I'll be able to rig up something directly under the seat using the holes that are already there and then use a clasp or something similar to grip the line when in use.

I really like the Scotty anchor system...might have to check into one.

TT

+ Reply to Thread