+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphite Vs Bamboo

Default Graphite Vs Bamboo

I read years ago that graphite is easier and better for casting than bamboo.
    But a couple days ago I was told that bamboo is better for casting.
    Anyone have an opinion on this issue?

I think it depends on your casting style. I fish both and enjoy both but it takes some changes to transition from one to the other.

Lefty's comparison to fly fishing and a Kansas feed lot may come into play here!

Sustitute different for better. Both statements are then true.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

If you are one who strives for the lightest rods on the market that and/or the trend for fast rods... Then bamboo is not anything youd enjoy. like single shot rifles, bamboo is an aquired taste! fiberglass is also such I enjoy all three but they are all vastly different.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Well said Bill.

I think chusha may have run into a bamboo fanatic and not someone willing to give an honest unbiased opinion, thank you.

You really can't compare graphite to bamboo in my opinion because they are such different types of rods. Here's a run down of the pros&cons of each...

Graphite pros- Light weight material and wont fatigue your arm, better for distance casting because you can get a much faster action in graphite, takes really no "up-keep" to keep it in good shape.

Graphite cons- There aren't really any "cons" that come to mind short of they don't have the Nostalgia of a cane rod, and maybe they conduct lightning better lol

Cane pros- If you like a slower smoother casting stroke then cane is a great material to gently land a fly and not spook a trout. They hold their value (and actually raise in price) Buy a graphite today for $500 and sell it in 5 yrs and you'll get maybe $225 for it. Buy a Cane today for $500 and in 5 yrs you will get your money back out of it most times. Nostalgia/history. There are times when I use one of my cane rods and it just feels "right" because I'm fishing somewhere like the "Holy Waters" of the Au Sable with a Cane.

Cane cons-
    They are heavy as compared to most modern day Graphite, so if all you have cast are faster graphite rods then you may not even care for the feel of a cane. Plus they have upkeep. You don't want to just stick a cane in a rod rack and leave it there because next time you go to fish with it you will have a tip that looks like a dogleg. So they take a bit more care than other rods.

As I said it's hard to compare them because they are vastly different animals. One of them things that you will have to try in person to know if its something you really like or not.

Hope that helps.

Steve

I have been privileged to cast and fish all three types. My conclusion is if you like the highest performance (read fast action) rods then get the best graphite stick you can afford. If you like a rod that teaches you how to cast then get a bamboo. If you like something like bamboo at a lesser price, then get a fiberglass. They all 3 have their attributes. Graphite does what you tell it to do. Bamboo lets you learn what it can do. Fiberglass is more like bamboo than graphite. It's bamboo type casting with a poor man's budget. I love all three.
    Last edited by Lotech; 08-05-2010 at 03:08 AM.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Fair answers. I would add that I enjoy playing a fish with a cane rod better than graphite. There is a difference there, too. I have and use both. I don't fish bamboo longer than 7 1/2 or 8 feet long. For the longer and/or heavier line rods, I'll stick to graphite. For the shorter, lightish line rods, I like cane. See? As has already been said, it's a personal choice. Haven't fished glass in ages, so I can't comment on that. They are all fun, ya know?

Chuck

I started out on fiberglass. It is kinda' like bamboo, but only "kinda'".
    I never liked playing fish on such a deep bend, nor did I ever really understand the "action" of fiberglass until many years into fly fishing.

Now that I understand the difference between glass, grass, and graphite, I really like graphite. I don't really care what kind of graphite it is; I can put it to good use.
    To me, graphite rods are like 20 times better than anything I fished with when I was too young to understand.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

I fish bamboo and graphite, and which I like best honestly depends more on the mood I'm in than anything else. When I'm feeling mellow and just looking for the rhythm of the cast and the sight of the fly adrift on the water (and hopefully getting sucked under occasionally) I tend towards the more deliberate, deeper action of the bamboo. When I'm a bit more driven to cover water quickly I go for the graphite.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread