Thread: Simms Wading Staff recall

Threaded View

Coincidentally, a friend and I stopped at Simms in Bozeman yesterday on our return to the Yellowstone after fishing the Missouri below Holter Dam for several days. The tip on his Simms wading staff had come off, and he wanted them to look at it to see if it could be repaired. (I think his was a slightly older version than the wading staffs being recalled.)

The girl at the front desk glanced quickly at his staff, said something about it not having the problem curently being experienced with other wading staffs (I assume she was referring to those now being recalled) and said (without even pausing for a breath!) "I'll go down the hall and get you a new one."

My friend had to fill out a merchandise return card, but the whole process took about 5 minutes flat before we were on our way with a brand new Simms wading staff, and he was feeling quite pleased with the experience.

Now, if only I could get Simms to admit that my 2 year old Simms wading sandals (with just several days use, mostly getting into and out of my driftboat) were made with a defect in design and material - they have cheap velcro on several of the straps that doesn't (can't) keep the straps fastened - the straps should have been made with buckles instead of velcro - I'd also be much happier with Simms customer service.

In addition, as an aside for anyone considering Simms new wading shoes, I've now had a chance to use my new G4 Simms guide boots (the ones having Vibram soles, with optional metal cleats) in a variety of streams and conditions. DO NOT try to wade in rivers like the Yellowstone (those rivers having plenty of rocks covering the bottom) with just the rubber soles sans cleats, because to to so is to take your life in your hands. Contrary to what Simms may tell you, these boots are more slippery and hazardous than trying to wade bare foot! However, when I put a few metal cleats in them (which are removable) they work just fine, and these are really workhorse boots otherwise. But, no one is getting in my driftboat with cleats on the bottom of their boots! So, as far as I'm concerned, I don't think there is a single satisfactory alternative to felts that has yet been found.

John

p.s. The fishing was great on the Missouri this week and we caught lots of Browns and Rainbows in the 17" - 24" range.
    Last edited by John Rhoades; 08-06-2010 at 06:22 PM.