+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with furled leaders

Default Help with furled leaders

I have a couple of questions regarding furled thread leaders.

1) Can they be used for nymph fishing to a depth of three to five feet?

2) If you have a 6 foot furled leader and want a nine foot tapered to 7x, do you just loop to loop 3 feet of 7x tippet on or do you have to step down to 4 or 5x then to 7x?

3) What kind of floatant and cleaner do you use?

Yes they can be used for nymphing, don't treat with floatant, or partially treat what you to float or just sink from the tippet connection. is far as 6' to 9' just add 3' of 7x tippet. The floatant I like is the stuff that came with my Thibault silk line, but you can use Mucelin (red tin) or fly floatant.
    Are you making your own or buying them?
    Pete

Hi,

Here's my 2 cents on some of these

1. I use them with nymphs and my Phoenix silk at that depth, but I'm not a great nymph angler.

2. Thread leaders can be made from different thicknesses of threads and a varying numbers of strands, but assuming you were using 6/0 Unithread in a 10-8-6 taper, I think I'd neck it down.

3. I use mucelin (red tin) as the flotant.

Hope this helps,
    Kat

Hmmm.. I guess I should have added that they need not to be treated with floatant if nymphing, or partially treated, as Pete suggests, but I was guessing that they were two different questions (?)

Hi, Pete!

Kat

Pete, I am going to buy a blue sky furled leader. I beleive that is the name. Just have not talked myself into a $13.00 leader yet.

Steve
    Check your Email.
    Pete

Steve,

I often use a bright furled leader when using the "high stick" method of nymphing. The bright leader serves two purposes, first it is a great strike indicator, and second it is invaluable in detecting current so you can achieve a drag free drift.

As for tippets, it is your choice whether to use a single section or to step down the tippet. For light leaders I don't think tapering the tippet is necessary.

For a floating leader use a good paste type floatant, Mucelin if you have it, if not a good paste floor wax will work. Water proofers such as Water Shed do little to make the leader float and will actually stiffen it. I do not recommend them.

Jim Cramer

[This message has been edited by Jim Cramer (edited 04 March 2005).]

Steve - Another way of attaching light tippet to a furled leader is to tie a large loop into one end the tippet, and loop the big loop to the end of the leader.
    I do this with a spider hitch knot. [url=http://www.sarasota-fla-fishing.com/Spider.html:d7d37]http://www.sarasota-fla-fishing.com/Spider.html[/url:d7d37]
    Make the loop so that it is about a foot long when stretched out. One end of the tippet is left 2-3 feet long and extends out of the knot.
    When looped to the leader, you now have one foot of doubled tippet to act as the step down, and 2-3 feet of tippet to fish with. The biggest advantage is that the spider hitch is much stronger than a blood knot or a surgeons knot, so the perennial weak point in leader/ tippet connection is eliminated.

Is there a link to how to tie a furled leader?

-Zac

------------------
    The way to a flyfisherman's heart is through his fly

Great idea, Tom!

Just as an aside, Tom's ultimately responsible for me furling leaders, for which I am honored and greatful!

Kat

+ Reply to Thread