+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yellow Winged Wulff Fly

Default Yellow Winged Wulff Fly

yellow winged Wulff Fly.jpg

I am curious if anyone has a pattern for this fly. I saw it featured in some pictures by Fly Tyer Magazine
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Normand Guest

if you found it in fly tyer magazine didnt it have the recipe??

lets try this

hook:dry fly
    tail: brown hackle fibers
    body: gray dubbing
    wing: yellow calf tail divided
    hackle: grizzly

more wulffs

http://www.nsfa-adventures.com/WULFF..._FLY_trout.htm
    Last edited by Normand; 08-02-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Harry Murray's Mr. Rapidan is a Wulff variation tied with yellow calf-tail wings. He uses it for the Quill Gordon hatch in the streams of Shenandoah National Park. Sorta/kinda looks like the one in your pic. Here's a decent tutorial on it:
    http://hipwader.com/2004/tying-mrrapidan-dry-fly

Regards,
    Scott

I love the Wulff patterns. My favorite would be the Blonde Wulff tied with light elk tail and wing.

Hi raiderhunter, google didn't turn up any results for me on that variation, and I've never heard mention of that named variation. In any case, keep in mind that (other than the few original and long-known patterns) a "Wulff" can be thought of as a style of fly ...just as a Clouser Minnow, Lefty's Deceiver and Harrop's Hairwing Dun are styles that can be dressed in the colors that work best for you. Today, Wulff patterns typically share: Tail of deer, elk or moose; wing of calf tail/body or elk hair; robust body and thick hackle. The orginal patterns from 1929 were the Royal, White and Gray Wulffs; all used bucktail for wings and tails, as did the Grizzly, Brown, Black and Blonde Wulffs popularized by Dan Bailey soon thereafter.

Oddly, the wing on that fly in your post look more like swiss straw than hair to me...or it could just be my aging eyes </sigh>. Also, what appears to be a hackle fiber tail doesn't agree with the poplar standard of a hair tail. To me, a "Wulff" that lacks the hair tail and wing is poorly named. That's just my...ahem...opinion.

Murray's Mr Rapidan noted by ScottP shares the style of a Wulff dry. If I was unfamiliar with the pattern, and another angler asked me what it was, I'd likely respond "It looks like a yellow-winged Wulff variation to me. How has it done for you?"

+ Reply to Thread