Hopper season is in full swing. I've noticed all along with the FEB flies that any number of hits don't hook up, but the fish seem to hold on for a while, more than just the tug you get with a miss, and more so with smaller fish.

Yesterday, after observing this phenomonen on a day with a lot of fish around the fly, I began to wonder again if the fish are short striking the extended body but hanging on to the fly for a ride before letting go. I had been considering ways of getting the positive effects of the FEB and eliminating the short strikes by using the antron as "dubbing" or going to a longer shank hook so the hook itself is closer to the end of the FEB, but hadn't decided on a solution. Simply dubbing the body for the look of the FEB eliminates the movement of the FEB, which I believe is a factor in its success. Using a longer shank hook would add weight and might distort the size / silhouette aspect which would be undesirable.

Then it dawned on me. How about incorporating a "stinger" in the FEB ??

The method is very simple. When making the FEB, simply add a length of tippet to the strands of antron. Slide a hook of choice onto the tippet before capturing the end of the tippet in the furling tool ( whatever method you use ). Position the hook at the middle of the antron strands before you begin twisting. When you are ready to furl, simply use a bodkin to pull on the hook as you release tension, and the hook will extend from the very end of the FEB.

After tying the fly, cut off the hook used to tie the fly at the bend ( unless you want to have both hooks working for you, or against you, as the case may be ).

For the FEB Hoppers in the pic, I used size 12 dry fly hooks to tie the fly, and added a size 18 Dai-Riki 125 "stinger" using 5X tippet in the FEB. You will want to develop a technique for ensuring that the "stinger" won't pull out when hooking up with a good size fish.

Should get a chance to try these flies out tomorrow or the next day. Will update the thread with the results of the experiment.

John

P.S. REE - This might solve the problem you had with the FEB October Caddis at Lowell a couple years ago.