+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lions and Beavers and Bears, Oh My!

Hybrid View

Default Lions and Beavers and Bears, Oh My!

First the Soda Butte bear attack, then we hear about cougars in PA, now beavers are getting into the act!!

Time to take up a safer hobby!

Blog Entries

I used to swim n Lake Lanier, GA. I'm gonna guess that the fisherman wasn't a flyrodder. If so, any reasonable beaver would fear for his dubbing, uh, pelt.

Ed

The area of the attack, if I understood correctly, was the beginning of the tailwater section of the Chattahoochee below Buford Dam (which contains Lake Lanier). This is an area frequently used for flinging line. The teeth on a beaver are very impressive, we found a skull intact several years ago. The teeth extend up into the skull where they can grow down as they are worn down. I don't know much about beavers, but the water in that area rises and falls several feet everyday, I would think that would be make life difficult for a beaver. They were over 2 inches long. Rabid animals in the out burbs of Atlanta have become common lately. Luckily in the section I most often frequent all the wildlife has consisted of waterfowl, a muskrat and a copperhead floated by one day.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I used to fish some pot-holes in Washington State that held a decent amount of beaver. They could be seen cruising up and down the channel and often would pass right by or clip your fins while in the tube. They never were aggressive, save for th eoccassional unexpected tail-slap that would usually occur 5-10 feet behind you. I swear you'd jump clean out of the durned tube! But that was always the extend of it. I do know from experience wihle trapping though.....they are "capable" of being pretty nasty if they wanted to be. A 35lb rat can be pretty formidable:^)

I was fishing a beaver hut on Lake Anna one day from a boat, and a large beaver came up to the top, looked at me, and slapped his tail as you described. Sounded like a rifle shot.

Shucks,
    And all we have around here for excitement are the Great White Sharks
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ape_cod_beach/

Quote Originally Posted by Quint
    Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread