+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougars in Pennsylvania

Default Cougars in Pennsylvania

I guess I'm going to have to start carrying something more than just my 9mm while out fishing the Little Mahoning fly fishing project. Friends have been having problems with their horses and wound up shooting a cougar that took out one of their horses. They said there are more in the area. Usually just carry my 9mm with birdshot for snakes, but will have to go a little bigger now i guess.

Better to be safe. I've heard of cougars in PA, but I've never seen one.

I'm sure the Game commission will say "There are no cougars in PA." like they did about the coyotes that they released a few years back... event hough your friend has a dead one. Would a 9MM FMJ take down a cougar, or just make him mad?

Blog Entries

I don't think I'd choose FMJ for shooting cougars. I think a quality HP would be better. Shooting is like real estate. The 3 most important things are: location, location, location.

Ed

I am convinced we have them in Eastern Virginia altho the game department says not. Too many credible people have told me they've seen them and with our monstrous deer herd, it makes sense.

The PA game commish actually brought and released several to the area I lived in to control the over populated deer herd on a large tract of private land next to Bald Eagle State forest in Snyder County... Coyotes too.. Seen a few on Jacks Mtn. so I know there not just there, Their there in decent numbers and have been for years.
    Last edited by billknepp; 07-29-2010 at 11:04 PM.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I didn't originally believe it, but I spoke to some high rollers in the insurance business and I was told the PA Game Commission and Insurance agencies have released coyotes to control the deer herd. They're actually eliminating the herd. I certainly believe it now.
    Bruce

Nice area up there lastchance! Will be in that area this weekend for a family event held there yearly, My father in law is also a PA transplant here in NY he comes from your area. Hows the creek coming along after that derailment/spill the other year? Father in law was Not pleased....

Back from yet another non fishing weekend spent in Elk,Cameron,Potter County areas of PA.... Visit this time every year for the past five...Creeks all looked good (As we rolled over or by them).... Not a single fisher person seen though plying these waters??? Whats up with that?? weather was cool all weekend These creeks broke or sumpin?...lol Gotta get info on a Cabin for a week at Parker Dam for next year n change this whole situation! Still have yet to see a single member of the PA Elk heard to date also.. N I look believe me!

If Lastchance is correct and the insurance lobby has enough clout to reduce their claims by this method I thiink we should have a complaint. Wouldn't it seem more ethical to permit hunting on the overpopulated private land?

+ Reply to Thread