This fly was observed in one of my fly boxes in a recent post and a few members expressed interest in having the Fly Recipe, so here it is "unveiled" for you.

The Streamer photos you'll see attached here were invented and tied by John Rohmer of Arizona Flyfishing and "They Flat Out Catch Fish"!!!

I've included a couple of fish photos taken at Lake Pleasant in AZ, of a friend of mine with a White Bass and myself with a Largemouth Bass caught on these flies. We caught fish like this all day long on this pattern, including some 6-10 lb + Stripers, man was that a hoot on a 6wt. rod.

Ok, You twisted my arm, I'll also share with you that fished in waters where Large Brown Trout, Rainbows and Smallies swim, they hit these flies with recklous abandon, and the take is Vicious! Don't say I didn't warn you!!!

We fished these on a 6wt. this day with both a Clear Intermwediate and a Type IV Full sinking line and were fishing water down to 10'- 15'.

This is a "Really Easy Tie". The material to tie this fly is available in a wide variety of colors, and you should be able to put together the right colors to match any baitfish your looking to imitate.

Fly Name: Diamond Hair Streamer (aka JR's Baitfish)
Color: "SHAD" Pattern (Fly in photo by itself)
Fly Designer: John Rohmer

Fly Recipe:
Hook: Gamakatsu SC15 #1-2/0 (Very Important to use this hook when tying this pattern, it is the right weight and has the required short shank to avoid the material from wrapping around and fowling the fly)
Thread: 6/0 Uni White
Bottom: ADH Pearl/Green (Arizona Diamond Hair)
Top: Successive layers of ADH Silver Minnow, ADH Light Silver, ADH Peacock
Eyes: 3D Holographic Silver, Red or Yellow (#2 hook use a 2.5mm size eye, & #1/0 hook use a 3mm eye)
Weight: 15 wraps of lead (appropriate size for hook) covered with Opal Mylar

Tying Instructions

This fly is tied with all materials tied in and pointing towards the hook eye. After tying in all the material, it is then pulled back over the hook shank and super glued down.

1. Install 15 wraps of lead (Lead size: appropriate for hook size), cover lead wraps with Opal Mylar. Attach thread behind hook eye and turn hook upside down. Bring thread back 1/4".
2. Separate a small amount of ADH Pearl/Green. The material will be tied down in the middle of the clump, pulled back over itself and tied down. At this point you need to cut the material to a suitable length for the size of hook you're using.
3. Pull the fibers between your thumb and first finger to align them laying in the same direction. This is a little unruly at first but becomes easier after some practice. Any stray fibers can be cut and put back in the pile. Nothing is wasted.
4. As I mentioned above, tie the material in the middle up behind the eye of the hook. Fold the rearward facing clump forward over itself and tie down so all the tips are facing over the eye of the hook.
5. Turn hook over to do the top. Bring thread back a bit and tie in a small clump of Peacock ADH in the middle with the tips facing forward over the eye of the hook. Fold it over itself and tie it down again.
6. Bring thread back and tie in a small clump of Light. Silver ADH. Fold material back over itself and tie down again.
7. Bring thread back and tie in a slightly larger clump of Silver Minnow ADH. Bring clump back over itself and tie down again. Do not tie off. Just add a drop of super glue and trim the thread.
8. At this point all the materials are tied down facing with the tips forward. There is one color below and three colors above.
9. Pull the fibers back over the hook shank. It is easy to separate the colors because the Peacock is next to the Pearl/Green. Material is now pointing in the proper direction to finish the fly.
10. At this point adjust the fibers to the shape head you desire and apply a thin coat of 5 second fingernail glue with the brush applicator. I do the bottom first, pulling the fibers back and then gluing it right to the hook shank. This keeps the fiber below the fly from fouling when casting.
11. Turn the fly over and form the head shape you desire and apply nail glue.
12. Attach 3D molded eyes to the side of the fly with tweezers and re-coat with nail glue again.
13. Apply a small Shoulder Spot (Black Dot) 1/2" behind and slightly above center of the eye with a Permanant Black Marker(Sharpie).

*Just a note for those that tie this pattern without the Lead Weight, the ADH Material is non-porous and when a few false casts are completed it will want to float on top of the water. I have had fish strike at the fly while it's floating on the surface and completely miss getting hooked. John Rohmer says "He now ties all his flies with the weight installed" unless he specifically wants a streamer without weight.

This Pattern was featured in the summer 2004 Edition of Southwest Fly Fishing Magazine. It includes step by step tying instructions with full color photos of each step.

Several other colors are available, as you can see in my fly boxes. But the single fly photo is of the one listed in the recipe.

The following is a list of additional fly pattern colors and the ADH material required to tie them.

ADH colors are listed from TOP to BOTTOM of the fly... fly is tied with three colors on top and one below.

SILVER: Silver eyes.
ADH Colors,
Peacock
Shad
Silver Minnow
Pearl/Green

GOLDEN:
Gold eyes. Use Gold Mylar to wrap the lead if weight is used.
ADH Colors,
Olive/Tan
Tan
Golden Shiner
Pearl Gold

CHARTREUSE:
Yellow eyes.
ADH Colors,
Green Chartreuse
Green Chartreuse
Pearl Green
Pearl Gold

WHITE:
Silver eyes.
ADH Colors,
Siver Minnow
Starlight
Starlight
Pearl Green

SILVER HOLO:
Yellow eyes.
ADH Colors,
Gunmetal
Silver Holo
Light Silver Holo
Starlight

SARDINA:
Gold eyes.
ADH Colors,
Tan
Light Silver Holo
Silver Minnow
Starlight

This Fly was a featured Pattern in the Summer 2004 Issue of Southwest Fly Fishing Magazine, it starts on page 70 and has great photos showing how to tie this fly step by step.

These flies or the ADH Material is available through your local fly shop, or can be had at Arizona Fly Fishing in Tempe, AZ. [url=http://www.azflyfishing.com:177ab]www.azflyfishing.com[/url:177ab]

Good luck, and make sure you have a firm grip on your rod when fishing these flies!

akalooker

[This message has been edited by akalooker (edited 28 February 2006).]