+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Building A Flyrod

Default On Building A Flyrod

I have started on building my bamboo rod. Every step of the way I find some mistake that I made. I am no master, do not have a lathe or other fancy tools. I see my ferrules are slightly lopsided, my cork handle was slightly off center, my first wrap has a thread overlaping another so it will not be an example of perfection.

While that is so, each step is also a challenge taken and completed. My reel seat will not fall off. You won't see the handle being slightly off center and the thread overlapping on the wrap will hopefully go un-noticed by the casual observer.

Regardless of what I do wrong, I do much right and most of all I am enjoying the process. Knowing in the start that I am no Ron Kusse or anything other than a bungling hobbyist helps me accept that each step will have its faults, but I also know that I will wind up with a sweet rod that casts well and will always be my work of art/craftsmenship.

In the end, I enjoy the process and encourage those who know they will not attain perfection, or even something close to consider attempting their own project as it is fun and worth the adventure.

jed

I found in my rod building days I had neither the skill or patients to do it right. I never built a rod without at least some mistakes. To the casual observer they may look fine but I KNOW whats wrong with it and that bothers me.
    I can accept mistakes in factory rods but not my own. With this in mind I quit building rods.

I admire your determination and fortitude to attempt a bamboo rod. I'll leave that to Ron Kusse and John Channer. I'm more proud of their rods than I would ever be of one I made.

Jed,

I am in the process of re-doing my first bamboo rod, and I know how you feel. This may not be a very pretty sight when it's done, but it's a start. I don't know if you tie your own flies, but I can remember what the first flies that I tied looked like, and this rod is going to be a larger scale version of that. And I'm willing to bet that Ron Kusse and all the others that do beautiful work didn't achieve perfection from day one. A little practice is a good thing.

Jeff

------------------
    I work only so that I can afford to fish

True enough. Perfection is not my goal with this project, fun is and I'm having it.

I do tye my own flies, and they look like junk too, but they also will catch flies.

jed

Hi Jed,

Saw where you gave me a site to check out some of the materials I am looking for on my own project. You know, this is fun. I have asked so many questions and everyone has really been super in putting up with me. I've got mine completely stripped and need to straighten out three tips. Then ready for finish and the rest. What I am putting into it, time and money wise is worth it even though the rod won't be worth it. I am going to find another one and do it all over again. Let me know how yours turns out.
    Steve

Jed,

Why not redo the wrap? They are easy enough to remove if you are careful. Also, what resources are you using for building your first bamboo rod? I just might be interested in giving it a whirl myself. If I was still in Maine I could probably look to Kathy Scott and her husband David for a little help, but since I moved to Texas that's no longer the case.

[This message has been edited by Bill Blake (edited 12 March 2006).]

I am going to try and do a better job on the other wraps. If they turn out better then I will redo this and any others. If they all look about the same, well... so be it.

jed

I took my "recycled" 8'rod out for a test cast the other day and put the wrap finish on yesterday.
    Because it was a Japanese rod with a short tip I chose not to put too much time or money it to it.
    It got a recycled nickle silver reel seat, new guides and claret colored nylon thread wraps.
    I spent all of $7.00 on it.
    Much to my suprise it looks great and even more suprising... it casts great too.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I've had a cane blank sanded, straightend and ready to go for over a year now. Funny the things you can't get around to anymore when the 3rd baby comes around. Keep at it Jed, I remember the first rod I tried may not have been pretty, but it fished well and hasn't come apart yet. They get better every time. The last one finished beautifully and fishes just as well. What I like most about the process is that you get to imprint your own personality on the rod and end up with a true 'one of a kind'. I'm pretty confident that I'm the only one fishing a 2/2, 7'9", 5WT flamed cane with a bronze snakes, red agate stripper, nickel silver cap and ring reel seat with a Vermont cherry burl spacer. Whew, that was a mouthful.

[This message has been edited by CFO123 (edited 13 March 2006).]

CFO,

That rod has mucho mojo! Nice job!

+ Reply to Thread