I have started on building my bamboo rod. Every step of the way I find some mistake that I made. I am no master, do not have a lathe or other fancy tools. I see my ferrules are slightly lopsided, my cork handle was slightly off center, my first wrap has a thread overlaping another so it will not be an example of perfection.

While that is so, each step is also a challenge taken and completed. My reel seat will not fall off. You won't see the handle being slightly off center and the thread overlapping on the wrap will hopefully go un-noticed by the casual observer.

Regardless of what I do wrong, I do much right and most of all I am enjoying the process. Knowing in the start that I am no Ron Kusse or anything other than a bungling hobbyist helps me accept that each step will have its faults, but I also know that I will wind up with a sweet rod that casts well and will always be my work of art/craftsmenship.

In the end, I enjoy the process and encourage those who know they will not attain perfection, or even something close to consider attempting their own project as it is fun and worth the adventure.

jed