+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pontoon boat tracking

Hybrid View

Default Pontoon boat tracking

I hope that I have the terminology right. I recently purchased a pontoon boat and got to try it out today. It was great and I'm more than happy with the purchase but had an issue with what I gather is "tracking".

It seems that the majority of the time the boat would pull to the port or left side and I would have to take a corrective stroke or two to keep it going in the intended direction. Oar length was set to the same distance. Blade angle was reasonably set at the same angle although probably not exact.

Does anyone out there in cyberfishingland have any troubleshooting advice?

Do you have a gauge to check the air pressure in your toons? I've noticed the same problem with mine, I don't have a guage, but I've wondered if one toon was more "full" then it should slide through the water better. I'm not sure the technical terms and don't know if you follow what I'm meaning or not. Maybe someone with more brains will come along and tell us both what were doing wrong.

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Tyro,
    I would suggest that you make sure there is equal pressure in each toon. The way I check it is to fill one of the toons to desired pressure and give the toon a thump. It should make a ping sound. Then fill the other to desired pressure and give it a thump. Try to get the ping sounds at the same tone or pitch. Also, you might look at how each toon is connected to the frame. Make sure they are both the same distance fore & aft. I would think that if one of the toons is slightly ahead of the other, that might make a difference in tracking. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Lotech; 07-26-2010 at 11:36 PM.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

The wind will try to have its way with your boat. So be aware of how it's blowing and know it can affect tracking.
    'Toons have hair-trigger steering through the oars. Some 'toons more than others. Those with plenty of 'rocker', or curve to the bottom will spin out easier and not track as well as those with nice, long, flat sections in the water.
    Are you built like a lobster with one arm much stronger than the other by any chance?

I suspect a large part of the problem is a smooth consistant even stroke from each oar, at least that's what if figure is my issue. I would guess if you put a member of the local rowing team in the boat he would go straight. I was told the two hull of the pontoon would make it twice as difficult to row straight. I'm guess Normand is on target with the tight pressure, secured straight in the frame advice also. I have also wondered about the position of the seat, is the center of the boat the best location?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

WOW!...Too much to keep track of. I can hardly wait to get my new toon.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread