Idahofisher,

Sorry, but I must disagree with you when you say, "Again line weight designation of a rod is based on the weight of the first 30' of flyline and how it it effects the loading (bending) of the rod."

The line weight designation (e.g., 6 Wt.) is nothing more than the subjective opinion of the rod's designer relative to the AFTMA Line he recommends the angler use?i.e., his personal opinion.

On the other hand, the line number (i.e., weight) of the line the angler will wish to choose to use is a function of (1) the power of the rod, (2) the length of the line (or distance he wishes to cast the fly), and (3) the frequency of the rod (i.e., feel) most pleasurable to the angler.

Since the designer has no idea in the world as to the personal perferences of the angler, one might say that it is presumptive of the designer to put any number on the rod. It also can be confusing to anyone who is not intimately aware of that designer's preferences and goals.

However, the designer does have the means of determining the strength, power, and frequency of any rod he might design. Consequently, if he were to provide this objective data on the rod (rather than his personal opinion), it would be a simple matter for any angler to fit the line to that rod which will best serve his intended application.
------------------------

Castwell,

"If a #5 rod had the power of a #6 rod,,, it would be called a SIX.."

So, are you telling me that the number on a rod is an accurate measure of the power of that rod?

I guess I'll have to stop by next month to say hello to LF and straighten you out---again.

Bill