+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Bags

Default Anchor Bags

Paddlers and fisherpeople, Read about using soft anchors and made two using old lead shot bags. Worked great on my yak, but deteriorated after a year. I need to find some durable sacks that will work to hold 4-5 pounds of lead shot or sand to use with my yak.
    I think that enclosing whatever material I use for weight in a plastic bag might help the durability. Nothing I've found has seemed like the right solution yet.
    All suggestion as to what and where to get some suitable bags is welcome. I might try Joe's leg weights idea, but I'm kinda a tightwad, and my old anchors worked so well!!

rodgerole
    Rodger Oleson

I use a basketball net and rocks.

Default Stuff sacks

I use a couple of small heavy nylon stuff sacks.

David

As a fellow tightwad I salute you. The ideal thing would be bags of a cordura nylon type material, the stuff they call ballastic cloth. You might call around to either a luggage repair shop, or check a thrift store for something you can salvage for a couple of bucks and then glue/sewn the seams to make a bag. Now I'm thinking pretty does not fit into the equation. Second idea plastic jars that everything from mayo to peanut come in, is a quart of sand heavy enough to hold you in place if you cut a "mushroom" from heavy scrap plastic on the bottom?

What about one of these reusable shopping bags all the major grocery stories and wally world has for a buck. Put in a few lace holes to close the top.

The random wandering of a vacant mind.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I've got a string on a dumbbell...3lbs works fine for most calm ponds. Cheap at Wally World and easy to replace if it snags.

Ive got an anchor for my yak and plan on getting another.How do you all rig them on a yak? I was fishing a lake with my single anchor and when the wind came up it just swung me back and forth too much.
    Sorry for the hijack rodgerole.

Rich
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

Normand Guest

mesh onion bags

525.jpg
    Last edited by Normand; 08-19-2010 at 09:30 AM.

Lead shot leaks? Boy... in certain states the law would have a field day with that one!
    'Jes sayin'

I use a couple of 15# ankle weights that I bought at a local sporting goods store. I just roll them up and tie the rope to one of the rings.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

The Lord willing I will be floating down the Hooch in the morning, I am going to try out Norm's idea of mesh bags, only oranges originally came in mine.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread