+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WHAT IT'S REALLY ALL ABOUT - Neil - July 26, 2010

Blog Entries

Default WHAT IT'S REALLY ALL ABOUT - Neil - July 26, 2010

WHAT IT'S REALLY ALL ABOUT

Fly Anglers Online is rather an anomaly in the field of fly fishing publications. On one hand FAOL is a weekly fly fishing magazine replete with articles on fly fishing, fly tying and similar fly fishing related material. In addition, FAOL is a web-based bulletin board ? a monitored public forum where items are bought and sold, ideas are exchanged and friendships are made.

Anomaly?

Anomaly means slightly irregular. If FAOL is this, than I say that there should be more anomalies in all of our lives.

It is slightly irregular to have a friend that you never met face-to-face, that who through FAOL became so much a part of your life, and you in his.

Sonny Morgan was such a person, who lived in Jackson TN, and was part of a Beginner's Only Fly Swap Series many years ago when I was running 4 groups at the same time over a 6 month period.

Over those 6 months we became friends over our email correspondence that, lead to us calling each other a lot. It came to pass that Sonny came into a golden opportunity for his wife and himself to fly to New Zealand to fish with a group of fly anglers, being lead by Dave Whitlock. Sonny was filling a spot on the fly fishing trip of a life time, because someone had to cancel out, so Sonny got the trip of a lifetime at half price.

Sonny was so excited to be going, that I sent Sonny my FAOL leather streamer wallet. I never expected how much that this little gesture meant to Sonny. He called me up on the phone, saying that this was too much, he said he felt like running up and down the street showing everyone what I had given him.....

Sonny brought me back a souvenir fly box selection, from the Lake Rotoroa Lodge, with a Owen River Fly Selection......I was touched by this, because I thought that my giving him that FAOL Streamer Wallet was just something that he could use.

I am glad I gave him the gift, and even happier that he reciprocated in kind....shortly after his return to the USA, Sonny found out he had Throat Cancer, and he died less than 6 months later... I have the box that Sonny sent me on my mantle in a place of honor, and when I look at it I am reminded of a dear friend who touched me as much as I touch him.... and even though we never met, we were, are, and always will be friends..... ~Parnelli

Correction:

The placement of the Al Campbell Memorial Bench, is at the Cleghorn Springs Hatchery, in Rapid City. It sits by a tree close enough to Rapid Creek (where Al use to fish most of the time when he had the chance), so that you can hear the creek flow as you sit there.

Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 07-26-2010 at 07:42 AM.

Very nice Neil. Very nice. It matters less the direction you take, as how you take the steps.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

This place is definitely unique in what it brings ot the table. I think in a very positive way.

Thanks Neil.

Z

+ Reply to Thread