Thread: GOING AROUND AGAIN - Ladyfisher - July 26, 2010

Threaded View

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Great read. But just to keep things straight, a few things were not exactly accurate.

There was never an Embargo against China during WW-II. In fact, the US sent millions of dollars in aid, equipment and personnel to the Chiang Kaisheck Administration, even before a formal declaration of war, to help them resist Japanese invasion. The Embargo was against Japan.

In the early to mid 20th century, most bamboo used for fly rods was 'Tonkinese', which is the area we now call Vietnam. Since this area was occupied by the Japanese very early in the war, supplies to the US were cut off. But this is not the reason for the decline in angling in the US during the war. Stockpiles of bamboo were more than adequate. The decline was caused by the fact that at that time, angling was practiced mostly by men, and most able-bodied men were overseas fighting the war, and every one else was engaged in projects to support the war effort. There was little time for recreational fishing of any kind. Most bamboo used for fly rods now comes from the Guangdong Province of China, due to various trade agreements with the US. It's attributes are very similar to Tonkin bamboo.

In 1946, Shakespeare did introduce fiberglass rods, but not because of any shortage of bamboo. It was because fiberglass rods had more desirable properties, was much cheaper and easier to manufacture, and allowed more control over the finished product. It brought angling within the financial reach of just about everybody.

In your section on 'spinning' reels, I am guessing you meant spin-casting reels, since you mentioned a 'push-button'. Spin-casting reels were developed simultaneously by the Johnson Reel Company, and the Zero Hour Bomb Company (ZEBCO), in 1948. It brought the skill-level required for casting down to a level that anyone, even a toddler, could master in a few minutes. It revolutionized sport fishing, and is still the most popular type of reel. Spinning reels had been available in the US since the 1870s, and were first marketed by the Mitchell Reel Company of Cluses, France.

I have to admit to a certain fondness for the slower action, and more forgiving nature of fiberglass. I still own several, both standard and fly, and use them frequently. But I also have an old bamboo rod, and enjoy the nostalgia of dropping a fly with it every now and then.

The price of rods is going up for sure, but so is just about everything else. I think it is probably just a sign of the times.

A very thought-provoking article. Good job.
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 07-30-2010 at 05:01 PM.