Fished last week on the Madison (wade section) and in YNP. Evening caddis action on the Madison was pretty good first few days (they were looking for #18's in your favorite patterns - Wally's Clacka Caddis did nicely), then tapered off for me, others claimed better results; compensated for by a massive Epeorus hatch one evening that had the trout going crazy - would have been a truly memorable night of fish catching if it hadn't been for a hailstorm like something out of a Demille movie that came barreling over the Wade Lake Bench and put a sudden end to the evening's proceedings. Spent a day on the Gallatin, in the Park, picked up some decent cuttbows. Also went up to the NE side for a day, hoping to spend some time before the crowds get crazy - no such luck; Soda Butte was just as crowded as usual and word was that a number of the fishermen seemed to have forgotten to bring their manners along, didn't even bother to stop. Lamar was better, bison herds seeming to be a bit of a natural deterrent; some on beetles, more on caddis, hoppers didn't happen for me (guy from Rock Springs, WY did very well with green ones). Word to the wise if you go up there - take a head net, the flies are "abundant". Not the biting ones which wait patiently for you back at your car so they can feast on you while you gear up, these hung out down by the river and just seemed to enjoy exploring any open orifice they could find. Word I heard from those who fished the Yellowstone River opening day on 15 July was few fish seen, fewer caught; seems like the lakers are winning the battle, sadly. Biggest traffic jam I saw was on the road out from Tower Junction for a single antelope; 3 miles further east and you wouldn't have been able to swing a dead cat without hitting one. Delays on Madison to Norris were not bad, but then I hit it at 8:00 AM when it first opened and later in the day coming back; I expect they're pretty bad during the middle of the day and will only get worse. Still looks like they have a lot of work to do, although they plan to be completed by 1 September. Looks like they've done some nice work up at Gibbon Falls.

Regards,
Scott