+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you have an up to date will?

Hybrid View

Default Do you have an up to date will?

Next door neighbors came over yesterday evening to be the witnesses for our new wills. It has been 7 years since we did our last ones and, wow, have there been a lot of changes since then that made the updating worthwhile.

Our wills are fairly simple. So I have yet to use a lawyer or an accountant for this. Instead, I use some fairly inexpensive software. You can find it here: http://www.nolo.com/products/quicken...-plus-WQP.html

If you don't have an up to date will, I encourage you to create one. Having not died yet, I haven't truly tested the efficacy of the software linked above. But I do feel good enough about it to call it to your attention. If it proves insufficient, I shall be beyond caring. It feels good now, though, while I am alive.

The software also helps you make decisions about medical care, leave instructions for your funeral, etc. I had to make a lot of those decisions when my father died, so I know how much you will be helping those you leave behind if you give them this kind of information.

I do but spent a good bid for a good lawyer to write it. I do believe it is very complete (not that there will be a lot of money to fight over) and includes a living will for my wife and myself. It covers a lot of stuff I would not have thought of personally.

I do need to write down who get which fishing rod, etc., my son will have no interest and I don't want to see them sold at a garage sale for $3 each.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Uncle Jesse, it's me, your long-lost nephew! I'd be happy to stand in for your boy and promise to take good care of your flyrod!

It was nephews and great nephews I was think of, nephews in Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, great nephews in Louisiana and Texas. I may get a son-in-law one of these days and even get a grandson is a possibility. Besides I'm a mere 64 years old, my granddad still had fishing rods in the truck of his car when they put him in the home at about 85 yrs. They discovered he had become a teenager again was neglecting his diet, slipping around smoking and drinking and showing an attraction to strange women. He never intentionally did anything considered to healthy, I on the other hand am trying to stay healthy so I may exceed his 91 years before taking the eternal dirt nap. You will be fishing with a titanium filment rod with a nanotech matrix binder your 8 wt. will weight 0.66 ozs.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

On the will topic, some state statutes actually have simple wills, in full, in them. WI for instance has approved will forms, healthcare POAs(living wills), and financial POAs.
    On a kinda tangential issue, have you guys with no one in the family with a clue or interest in FF, thought about your gear? I suspect we all overvalue our "favorites" but regardless, it seems a shame for it all go on the garage sale.

Years ago I told the kids (all grown, and far better taught), that if they wanted anything, they'd better mark it then. The girls (1 daughter, one dil) grabbed sticky notes in different colors, and ran around marking everything they could lay their hands on. The other daughter in law was bemoaning the fact that she found it "morbid" and "most disturbing" ... till our daughter told her, "have it your way ... but you're going to miss out on all the good stuff!!" ... at which point she too grabbed the stickies in her own color, and had at it. I'm still finding stickies.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread