+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's a good set of walkie talkies?

Whatever brand you get see if they will accommodate a push to talk, (PTT), external mike/speaker like the cops use. I and my buddies all have them and they give you the luxury of keeping the unit in a pocket or on the belt and easily communicating with the mike attached to your wader suspender or wherever.

Also although lots of folks like rechargeable batteries I recommend a set that uses AA batteries. Sometimes when you're camping or fishing an outlet can be hard to come by but you can get AA batteries just about anywhere. I keep an extra set in my vest just in case.

By the way I have and recommend Motorola for their size and quality. I once drown my Motorola PTT mike for about an hour in the stream and after drying out for a few days it worked just fine!

Thanks all for all the info. That epinions website neat. Thanks for that. Bamboozle...tks for reminding me about the PTT. That is what I saw being used and is definitely a feature I want. I got's lot's a research to do though. I went to epinions and a review on one said very low range...and didn't say iffen it had PTT. A whole lot of resources though. Impressed the drowned radio worked. Usually when a speaker gets wet, it cracks and doesn't work too well...or the granules in the transmit mouthpiece stik together and the other person can't hear you. On epinions price ranged $238 and down to I think $9. Like the .37 cent idea....can try those for little of nothing. I am about 3.5 hours from major stores though. But I sure got a lot of good help. Thanks to all of you.

Anyone using waterproof radios? I picked up a couple cheap walkie talkies and they have served me well. I dunked one of them a couple of times and it always starts working a few days after drying out on my truck's dash. It would be nice, though, to have a radio that could take a dunking and keep on ticking.

Gatorbait,

Make a lanyard for your radios with some parachute cord or old shoestrings. The water isn't good for them and sometimes when you drop them in 30 feet of water it's kind of hard to get them back (I know this because I've done it).

Best regards,

-John

+ Reply to Thread