+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's YOUR favorite fly to tie?

Hybrid View

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Hey Joe - that's no surprise at all! Not only do you tie them well, but you fish them even better! Remember this brown from an afternoon at Brookville?

Joes Brown 0014.jpg

RON - no worries at all - funny how some posts take on a life of their own? Glad it started some lively discussion. And I'm still stickin' with my story that I invented the Eagle Elk Glory Spider first...at least until I'm sure there's no money in it for me
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Jim,

Money? You can make money from tying flies? Who'd a thunk it?
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I think it can go both ways. Some change thread color on a fly and rename it. Agreed. But then others will yell scream and stomp because you tied a particular "classic" pattern "incorrectly". LOL. So which is it?

I tied up a "lightning bug" with blue barbs as a tail and blue ostrich for thorax, with the silver body and shell back and gold rib it reminded me of a Senior Master Chief in dress uniform, then I remembered all the services have dress "Blues" so I call it a Dress Blue, before today there were maybe 3 people who knew about it, now that I told you there are 4 people. Who cares, unless I copy a copyrighted pattern and try to sell it for a profit I am sure Mr. Graham who invented the original Lightning Bug could give a great big whoopee dee do. BTW, the fish liked the blue combo as did a log that got my last one. I also occassionally tie a purple prince nymph, I would probably call it a "Purple Prince" if anyone ask.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

well you guys have me stumbling all over my tongue about what I'd like to say! Basically I change patterns to make them easier for ME to tie. Sometimes I see a pattern and I think ( hmmm... I could take care of those three steps in one by doing
    this ) Then the pattern is changed and sometimes the looks of the fly a little bit. But most of the time, I am also trying to keep the same look also. I just want things to go easier for me at the tying bench.

For example... In Fly Tyer magazine a couple of issues back there were some pictures of someone tying some moths. Those moths looked really munchy to me for trout, but they also looked time consuming. I tied one his way and it took me 45 minutes during which time I saw a few ways to speed things up... (for me anyway) The second and remaining moths took me 10 minutes or less because of what I figured out to do to make it easier on myself. In this case, they looked a little different... I gave some to a friend of mine who was going fishing in Colorado and the trout smashed them! One of them was hit so much you couldn't even tell it had been a moth! So he and I was a happy camper... and now I'm back at the tying bench to see if I can make one last through more than 25-30 six pound fish! That's right, I said 25-30 six pound trout he had caught on this one moth! And he had pictures to prove it... That's pretty nice for me.

Lately I've taken to tying black ghosts, from traditional to bucktail varieties, but i was on a nymph fix for a while through the winter. I guess for me it comes and goes in phases what i want to tie up.

+ Reply to Thread