+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about Amour All on rods and line?

Question What about Amour All on rods and line?

Just got back from Belize for bones and it was GREAT! Sitting yesterday at breakfast waiting on the water taxi I was visiting with a fisherman I meet from Florida, I am from the desert section of West Texas. I was talking about cleaning up the rod, reel and line when I got home.

He recommended the use of Armour All on the line and the rod. I had not heard that. Is it OK and/or good practice to use the Armour All?

I think that you'll find a number of threads on this topic. If my memory serves me right, some of the folks found that Armor All damaged the finish on some fly lines because it has a petroleum base, others swear by it. I prefer to use Pledge on my fly rod and traditional cleaner on my lines to avoid damaging them. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

Some line makers will tell you that Armour all will damage the coating on the line but I have used it before and never had a problem. If you do give it a go you will be amazed at the extra shooting distance you will get due to the slipperyness of the Armour All. I bet you will be casting at least 10 yards farther on the shoot.
    All the best.
    Mike.

I clean my rods with orange wood cleaner and so far I haven't had any trouble. I found an article on cleaning your gear and the author recommended that instead of armor all.
    Hope this helps
    I believe I can fly fish

Thanks, now that y'all mention it I had seen the Amour All discussion. Decided to use the Umpqua Glide and call it good. However, next trip I will put some on for the distance and give it a whirl. Thanks!

Hey, now I have a question for you. A good friend of mine is going that way on Friday, what size of fish did you deal with? He fishes with regular gear and was wondering what he needed.
    Thanks much
    I believe I can fly fish

Blog Entries

I have several rods I use extensively. Some are 7-8 years old and the lines have had nothing but Armour All on them. Until I have a bad experience - I'm convinced.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

I have a friend who states he has been using Armour All all his life on fly gear and no probs. He is 80. Been fly fishing since I think six.

Also I have a "Fly Logic" booklet somewhere.....it came with a Fly Logic outfit I bought at our club banquet a few years ago. It plainly states in print...I think it is on the last page...if not....close. On taking care of your gear it says in print...."we recommend you clean your fly lines with Amour All"!

I only use products designed for fly line. Fly line costs $50 - $100. I won't risk that to save a few bucks on line treatment. I'm still using SA Ultra Line on one of my rods and Cortland 444 on another.

My problem is how do you know Armor All is non hurting the fly line? It is not like you put the stuff on and the fly line is destroyed the next day. Any damage is probable cumulative and leads to a shorter life with cracking eventually. If the line would have lasted 7 years but lasts 5 with Armor All, you would think Armor All did no damage because the damage occurs over years.

I use Scientific Anglers Line Treatment and Zip Cast.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

on my bamboo and silk.......nuts.

Gemrod....how's your 80 year old buddy been using Armor All for 74 years? He's been around a lot longer than Armor All!!!!

+ Reply to Thread