+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good-bye Dubbing!

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Good-bye Dubbing!

dubbing terrestrials is hard work. they are big flies and it takes a whole lot of dust bunnies to fill them out.

lately i have discovered the magic of poly yarn and antron yarn. they float, they come in great colors for grasshoppers and stimulators and crickets, and they're easy to use. i split the yarn to the width i need and just wind it on with the rotary. now i can tie a dozen flies in 6 innings (i watch the Nationals while i tie) instead of only three or four. finally, those big terrestrials are cheaper!
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Blog Entries

With 25 teams to choose from, you picked the Nationals? I guess that is as good a time as any to tie flies.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Blog Entries

it could be worse, it could be the mariners.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I totally agree, Casey. The antron/poly yarn works great for bodies. If you can't find the colors your looking for, you can always build up an under body of chenile or foam and then dub over it. That's what I use for my larger nymph patterns.

Hell, how would like to live in Pirate territory. When we say, "Go Buccos" we mean please leave town. I don't blame the players--I blame management. Now there's a reason to hang your head.
    Why don't you post some photos of those terrestrials made with poly yarn?
    Bruce

Blog Entries

With 25 teams to choose from, you picked the Nationals?
    whom would you suggest? the Rockies? hey, the Nats are the only game in town right now, unless you're a soccer fan. their TV commentary is really good: they tell me when to watch the replay; otherwise they just keep me posted on the action (or lack thereof) and offer good explanations of why things are they way they are. can't ask for more than that!

Why don't you post some photos of those terrestrials made with poly yarn?
    and show how simple they are--i'll do my best tomorrow. meanwhile, yarn twisted tight, turkey feather wing, gangly pheasant tail legs, and deer hair bullet head with a flared collar, all garnished with super thin super glue.

BTW, lastchance, Pittsburg has the best stadium in the majors!
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

I'm right there with you, CaseyP.
    The Fly Tyer's Dungeon sells dubbing for large dries called "Monster Dry Dubbing". It's very coarse, much easier than finer dubbings to dub large dry flies, and definitely will float a big fly. But it's not as easy as poly yarn, that's for sure. I've been using poly yarn on Stimulators for a number years now.

Joe

Follow Charlie's instruction for the Dave's Hopper if you'd like to make the body extend a bit....

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...m?parentID=147

Casey P: Like you I have just about eliminated dubbing. Yarns can be tied on faster and usually last longer. Also like you I really enjoy tying while watching a ball game. I am a dyed in the wool fan of the @@@@@@'s and think instant replay is the cat's meow.

Tim

hi casey P don't know if you there when we were useing spun fur, it is angora fur that is a yarn, sometime they have it in craft stores, but white only, it does dye easly. hille's fly shop has it in colors. i have not dub in many years only on very small flys. when i had fly tying at the shop i show both ways of tying. i used it for wets or drys, also you can tease some off and dub it on. flyman 3

+ Reply to Thread