+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A CHALLENGE COURSE? - Ladyfisher - July 19, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default A CHALLENGE COURSE? - Ladyfisher - July 19, 2010

A CHALLENGE COURSE?

Every once in a while a topic comes up and I'm torn as to if I should write about it.
    It can be that something which might be interesting to me might not be interesting to you at all - or I might not want to bring attention to something which might be better left alone. Confusing? Sure is and that's why it is difficult for me as a writer.
    Last edited by rtidd; 07-18-2010 at 03:41 AM.

Lets just hope that the water used, was not a local favorite and former public stretch of stream:^)

LF,

Your article got me thinking about something I had read a few years back. Turns out Orvis was thinking the same thing, and they built just such a course in Bend, Oregon adjacent to one of their stores. The course has been open since 2008, and has hosted a fly casting competition in 2009 and will again 2010. This course unlike the one created by Lefty is free and open to the public. It is designed along a golf course motif and so has "holes" (18 of them), and scorecards which are avilable from the store. More information in the links below.

Brian

http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbc...&nav_category=
    http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?neww...1&subject=6471
    http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=7366
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Brian, VERY interesting and hurray for the folks down in Bend who created it - AND kept it free. The ORVIS shop there has made a serious contribution to promoting fly fishing. Thanks so much for posting it!
    Hugs,
    LF

It's nice what Orvis has done in Bend and I will probably take advantage of it when fishing in that area but it still has commercializm written all over it. The best example of introducing new people to the sport in a friendly atmosphere is by an organization called FAOL with adventures called Fish-Ins.

The eastern US is growing increasingly fond of the gentrification of trout water. Well, it's increasing everywhere, but in the east it is getting to the point where finding access to trout fishing is getting challenging already in many regions. And they tend to use all sorts of stunts to get it done: from using non-profits as a front for the work done on what will quickly become a private fishing club or commercial lodge stream to get folks to donate labor and materials to things like Ladyfisher called them out for in PA.

I too applaud Orvis for setting up this teaching facility and making it free. And I don't mind a bit of "commercialization" when those entities are actually working at recruiting and teaching new anglers, doing conservation work, etc. like LL Bean, Orvis, and Bass Pro Shops do. They're all 3 great corporate citizens. I can't say the same for many of the manufacturers and smaller retailers in the industry. And that's a big part of why I don't like the "big box store" bashing that goes on. They're our last best hope.

+ Reply to Thread