+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sharpening a Stonfo bodkin

Hybrid View

Question Sharpening a Stonfo bodkin

Hi folks. I just aquired a Stonfo bodkin and am wondering if I can sharpen it without doing it harm. Was going to contact Stonfo, but their web site is almost entirely Italian (and not retail), and I am not so educated.

Sorry if this seems like a petty thing; it's only a ~$5 or so item, but some may understand how important it can seem to have a tool that really suits you and your needs. I had just invested a good bit of searching to find a bodkin that met my needs/wants, put it on my list, and just received it as a Fathers' Day gift. Had a little trouble with the mom & pop distributor, and it finally arrived after delays and with bends and nicks. I straightened it well enough and can ignore the nicks, bit the tip is a bit duller than I want.

I am guessing that the needle part is stainless steel (hopefully not some chrome-plated zinc alloy or such). Am wondering if it is likely safe to sharpen it a little with a file or emory board without weakening the metal or exposing it to corrosion. Thanks.

If I ruin it, not much $ outlay to get another, but it won't be from the same distributor. Thus, I don't want to mess with asking them questions either.

Howdy David,
    I bet it would be OK ta use a Fine file to sharpen...then a fine Wet Stone ....and ya might stuff some Steel Wool into an old empty medicine bottle just as tight as you can get it,
    burn a tiny hole in the cap just big enough for the the bodkin so that you can run the bodkin in and out and that will even keep it nice n clean if it does try to rust up on ya.

I would suggest using a ceramic hook sharpener.
    But, for my education, what is so unique about this tool?

David, you can go to Stonfo's web site and use "Google Translate" off of your toolbar. This might help also.
    Steve

Not a big fan of Stonfo, only had a few items, but didn't have a good experience with their bobbins and I do have one of their bodkins which I use to pick up feathers on a flat surface. It's a fat needle and I like every other brand I have better. I just stopped buying their products.

Skip

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Skip48 View Post
    Not a big fan of Stonfo, only had a few items, but didn't have a good experience with their bobbins and I do have one of their bodkins which I use to pick up feathers on a flat surface. It's a fat needle and I like every other brand I have better. I just stopped buying their products.

Skip
    so can you help the poster on how to sharpen the fat needle??

+ Reply to Thread