+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sharpening a Stonfo bodkin

Hybrid View

Always interested in keeping things sharp...found this through Google:

You can keep sewing machine needles sharp for years no matter what you have been sewing using this quick tip: Sharpen the points of the needle by sewing a few inches on a fine grit grade of sand paper. Do this about one every six months if you use your sewing machine just once in a while, and sew a bit of sand paper every two or three months if you are an avid sewer!
    Make your own pin cushion out of steel wool covered with your favorite fabric. When you put the needles in and out of the pin cushion they are going to sharpen themselves!

Two pages on sharpening a pin...

My expertise as a former EXPERT Popsicle stick and stick sharpener back when milk was still delivered, has translated into great skills with my leathercraft and other pointy hobby tools.

Just use a hard fine Arkansas sharpening stone lying flat on a table top, get the angle of your choosing and rub it while rolling the bodkin round and around. If you don't have a fine sharpening stone, diamond hook hone or something similar, GET ONE. It does come in handy.

Coarse sandpaper, grinding wheels or similar things are too aggressive for a pin and in some cases don't cut the metal but rather just grind it away.

Buona fortuna!

Thanks very much for all the ideas; seeked advice at the right place.

Closest thing at hand was a hook sharpener, and that got it pretty well. One day when I've nothing better to do I'll shine up the tip and the nicks probably with dry/wet 600-grit and pumice from my kids' pine car days (we obliterated the competition, partly due to the highly polished axles). And put a tip back on the old one.

I do like the handle a lot and am not sorry for the huge $ outlay .

+ Reply to Thread