Hi folks. I just aquired a Stonfo bodkin and am wondering if I can sharpen it without doing it harm. Was going to contact Stonfo, but their web site is almost entirely Italian (and not retail), and I am not so educated.

Sorry if this seems like a petty thing; it's only a ~$5 or so item, but some may understand how important it can seem to have a tool that really suits you and your needs. I had just invested a good bit of searching to find a bodkin that met my needs/wants, put it on my list, and just received it as a Fathers' Day gift. Had a little trouble with the mom & pop distributor, and it finally arrived after delays and with bends and nicks. I straightened it well enough and can ignore the nicks, bit the tip is a bit duller than I want.

I am guessing that the needle part is stainless steel (hopefully not some chrome-plated zinc alloy or such). Am wondering if it is likely safe to sharpen it a little with a file or emory board without weakening the metal or exposing it to corrosion. Thanks.

If I ruin it, not much $ outlay to get another, but it won't be from the same distributor. Thus, I don't want to mess with asking them questions either.