Thread: Tenkara

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Another idea I had is to use a "twisted" mono leader like Kelly prefers. The only drawback to that approach is the difficulty managing the loose ends as you twist the leader material, especially when you are looking at leader length before tippet of close to 12' with a long butt section. Probably talking 40' plus of leader material to get started. Right now that seems like a last resort, but given a rainy day ....

John
    John,

You're making the twisted leader construction much more complicated than it needs to be. One of the primary benefits of tenkara is that you can keep nearly all the line off the water. If the line is off the water (and there are no guides to foul) there is absolutely no reason why it has to be knotless. Twist three-foot segments and knot them together. Also, that gives you lots of flexibility with respect to line diameters and segment lengths to get a taper - no need to fold it over and twist again. I make horsehair lines that are knotted at rougly two-foot intervals. The knots are not a problem.

Sorry to hear about the rod and the finger. Send the rod to Tenkara USA. I don't think anyone's broken a grip section before, but Daniel might be able to get you a replacement.
    Last edited by CM_Stewart; 07-31-2010 at 02:28 AM.
    Tenkara Bum