Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
My local shop does not carry Tenkara rods. If one were to buy a Tenkara and did not have access to test them before buying, what would you say would be a good choice from their line-up for fishing small streams and pools for trout in the 6" to 14" range? When I say small streams and pools I mean streams that are 10' or less in width and pools that are 10' x 20' or less.
TyroneFly,

For those streams and fish I would use an 11' Iwana, although the 12' Iwana and the Ebisu would also be reasonable choices. The shorter Iwana fits the narrow stream the best, and would be the most fun for the smaller fish. It will handle the 14 inchers, but you'll be afraid it won't. The 12' Iwana and Ebisu are both longer than you need for those streams, but not too long if you don't have a canopy of low tree branches to contend with. The 12' Iwana is noticeably stiffer than the 11' model, and will be more comfortable with 14" fish - and for the 6 inchers, you'll be perfectly happy because you won't know what you're missing with the 11 footer . The Ebisu is a softer, slower rod than the 12' Iwana, and will remind you of bamboo vs. graphite. The 12' Iwana would be a better choice if you'll need a heavier line to fish in the wind or if you'll also want to fish panfish poppers for your local bluegills (or if you'll be fishing bigger, wind resistant flies). I am sure that if you decide the rod you've chosen is not well suited, Tenkara USA will allow you to exchange it.