Thread: Tenkara

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
    It seems like Czech nymphing would fit the design of these rods nicely. Long rod length, good line control.
    That's what I thought when I first started fishing with a tenkara rod. It took me a long time to realize that they are actually much better at what they were designed for - fishing an unweighted wet fly. The rod tips are a little too soft for two or three heavy flies fished deep. Also, the lines they use are so light that even one tungsten bead head nymph becomes chuck and duck. Instead of Czech nymphing, think soft hackles!

Tyronefly,

I tend to fish streams that don't get much fishing pressure, or less popular sections of streams that do, so I rarely have encounters with other anglers. Most of those I do exchange more than an "any luck" with either don't notice that I don't have a reel or don't say anything if they do.

John,

You could have a furled line and furled leader joined with a loop to loop, but pszy22 knows a lot more about furled lines (and furled tenkara lines) than I do, so I'll leave that one for him. What I would say, though, is that you'll probably want a longer one than the 10.5 foot one the shop gave you to try. Also, don't judge level lines by your experience with the Yamame. The Ayu excels at casting a very light level line, and with a light level line, you'll only need to add about 4' of tippet directly to the line. Very simple.
    Last edited by CM_Stewart; 07-18-2010 at 03:29 AM.
    Tenkara Bum