I just returned from the rodbuilding/flyfishing show in Charlotte. I had to walk through the flyfishing area to get to the builders area, and noticed a display from one of the upscale suppliers (I'm not going to name the specific brand). They had a mannequin all dressed up with the company's waders, vest, boxes, rod, reel, hat, etc. You get the idea. There was a sign stuck to the front of the mannequin that read "If you want to be the man, you have to buy the man." I really wish that I would have taken a picture. As a flyfisherman, I really found that particular attitude offensive. I'm pretty sure I'm not the man, but if I was, it wouldn't be because I bought equipment with the right label. I know this particular attitude exists, but I've never seen it quite this blatantly demonstrated. Is this something you have dealt with often or is it just a poor marketing decision?
I'm not trying to start an argument here, between factions, but personally that is the sort of advertising that will turn me off of a company and I'm curious to see how you would view this approach. I know the non-flyfishermen I was with basically responded with "That's why I don't flyfish". My own personal gut-instinct tells me that anyone who would fall for such advertising tactics would probably be better served with lessons.

[This message has been edited by ol' blue (edited 27 February 2006).]