+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Why flyfishing sometimes has a bad reputation.

it isn't just the younger generation that thinks this way, 15 or so years ago I first dipped my toes into the fly fishing waters. I quickly gave up soon after when I went fishing at my local club water and found that a high percentage of the members there wouldn't give you the time of day unless your were using the "right" rod, reel clothing etc. Luckily 4 or so years ago I went to fish another local water and found that the majority of the guys there were down to earth honest people. I still get a bit angry when I think how many years I lost from flyfishing when I let those pompus sods push me away from the sport I so love nowadays.

------------------
    Born to fish, forced to work.

I really don't think we need to be so sensitive to advertising or sexism. There are a lot more important things to really be mad about. If you saw the rest of the advertisements around the world, the one you mention is really tame by comparison! -Migs

3. Default

Yea, I got some Simms and Orvis and Sage stuff (mostly gifts from well meaning non-fishers) but Ya know whats really a lot of fun for me? To take my 30 yr old Fenwick glass rod with the broken tip and Medalist reel with old cheap line and $15 rubber hip boots and go stand next to one of these fashion models, act like the rube and then procede to outfish them. They generally are encouraging at first, then start changing flies and casting harder, then wish you luck and leave.
    The only things I won't skimp on are leaders and flies. The best hooks and leader designs, to me, are where the action is.

This reminds me of a little story I once heard.

In a salmon river somewhere a wealthy fisherman was trying his luck. He had the best equipment money can buy, and clothed in this years colors and cut. Fully automatic and motorised reel, and the most expensive (handmade) rod ever made.

He did not catch anything.

A little further down the river was a local boy. He had a bamboo stick with a hook and worm.

He did not catch anything either.

The morale I leave as selfstudy assignment

5. Default

Hey Ingar

A story to bring that point into focus. A dozen or so years ago I was at my cabin on the Ausable in MI. Had two young (4,5 year old) nephews with me. Now its Opening weekend, late April, the waters cold and high. Tough to FF except in a boat with a nymph. So, we are bank fishing with bait (legal in that part of the stream) and doing rather well. The little boys had caught several nice trout and a dozen or so suckers and whitefish. Along comes a guide in a driftboat with two dudes. They are "orvised up" and throwing dry fly into 45 degree water. Now I hadn't seen anything hatch that day. But they're beating the water to a froth. Just as they get about 100 yds above us the 4 year old gets a bite. He hooks and plays to the net a 20" brown. On a Snoopy pole... The guide immediately tells us we should throw the fish back but the little guys wants to keep it. The dudes ask the guide why they can't catch them like that. He says its because "real trout fisherman wouldn't use bait".

The four year old quickly pipes up, "No, its because you don't have a Snoopy pole." They shoved off---cursing no doubt---and we kept and ate the fish.

------------------

It's all about being a part of something.

Don't ever let someone's riverside dress code tell you the story, The Cover mighten tell the tale at all, . Best way to get a feel for someone is to get interactive, it's the attitude, not the clothing or gear that tells the real story. Who knows maybe it's the guy dressed very common like that is carrying the ego stick and the rich guy with the great buys is the nicest kind of fella.

A person's character was there long before he or she hit the river.

I just buy what I want, need, can afford, etc. When the fishin' is good by golly I could be naken pool side and I don't think I'd notice, .

later
    Mike

It was the Yuppies that gave our blessed sport the bad rap. Now they are off riding around on Harleys and golf carts and we're left to clean up they mess they left behind.

------------------
    <A HREF="http://www.wolfmountainfly.com" TARGET=_blank>www.wolfmountainfly.com
    "A</A> proud FAOL Sponsor"

Sorry guys, My friend who tied at the show and then went on to the Texas show just got backed and called and I asked him about it. He did not see the sign at Charlotte. U sure you aren't putting us on ol'Blue just to stir it up? I'll be fishing with Furimsky April 1 (the show promoter) I'll ask him about it.
    It's easy to ignore but I am just curious who would be so tacky, Of course Blue, U can email me who it was...B

flyfishmt wrote:

"It was the Yuppies that gave our blessed sport the bad rap. Now they are off riding around on Harleys and golf carts and we're left to clean up they mess they left behind."

Let's just be thankful they left!

Bob

Do you think the fly shops that have gone out of business are glad the "Yuppies" left?

Keith

+ Reply to Thread