+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor

Default Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor

OK, here I go again.
    I started looking for a new 7-9 wt reel for Salmon,steelhead,pike,etc. a month or so ago. At first I wanted the Lamson Litespeed. Great reel they say. Price$245+.
    I then did some soul searching and decided I liked the Lamson Radius. Nice reel also. $165+. I have looked and looked some more and was about a day away from getting the Radius, then someone started talking about Orvis. So I went to the site and found a reel with a drag that looks good. I can get this reel for $125 even.
    I hear more about the Battenkills than most reels and I have read some great reviews. I noticed that this reel is NEW for 2005. Has anyone seen and touched one yet?

[This message has been edited by fishigan (edited 06 March 2005).]

2. Default

You mean the Pro Guide Mid Arbor?

> Has anyone seen and touched one yet?

Yes, made in Korea. Same guts as the Pflueger Trion and a half dozen other other company's versions from the same factory. You have lots of options in your price range including US made models.

Regards,

Bob
    Fly Supplies
    aflyshop.com

So it's just the name change that is new for this year? So what happened to all the great stuff I've been hearing about Orvis?

I have seen touched and bought the Pro Guide Mid Arbor Model 5 for my brand new 4pc 8wt 9'6" TFO.I chose the largest size because of the larger circumference(similar to the large arbor).I havent fished either of them yet but the reel appears to be well machined w/ a good drag system. If it holds up like my 15 yr old 5wtBattenkill disc I will be more than satisfied. I was aware of similar reels but went w/ the Orvis because of their guarentee. I plan on using this for salmon/steelhead.

What kind of guarentee do they offer on this reel?

Same as everything else they sell 100% satisfaction. They will refund your money on any purchase that isnt 100% satisfactory anytime, for any reason.

I may be wrong but I think the Pro Guide Mid Arbor and the Battenkill Mid Arbor are one and the same with a name change. Got a Battenkill Mid Arbor last week and have used it on some pond fish this weekend. Nice looking reel and seems sturdy. I like it so far but it hasn't been put to much of a test.
    Tight lines,
    bd

Honestly if you want a reel stay away from Orvis...they have closed thier factory in the UK. Look at a company that specializes in reels such as Ross, Bauer, etc.

------------------
    "Get the drift?"

Personally I haven't seen a Ross reel that I have been impressed with.

If you really want a mid arbor go with the trion or another company's version. As stated above same reel...you are just paying for the Orvis name on it.

------------------
    "Get the drift?"

+ Reply to Thread