+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder painting beads and bead chain

Hybrid View

Default Powder painting beads and bead chain

Okay, I'm not a 100% fly fisherman. I'm getting into powder painting my own jig heads and making ice fishing spoons. Got to thinking tonight.... What about powder painting bead heads or bead chain? Some chartreuse or orange bead chain could be pretty cool! Anybody ever done it?
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Blog Entries

Try it. It sounds cool to me.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

You can already buy it pretty cheap already the colors you mention and not have to paint them.

Skip

Skip! You guys "over there" are teaching me bad habits! I've got some unpainted 1/32 and 1/16 oz heads and powder paint ordered, just figured I might try the powder paint for some fly eyes too.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Normand Guest

search this website. i believe this subject has already been covered

Zac

for the beads you could do it but you'd have to have plenty of wire hangers - only problem might be after you cure the powder on them pulling the hanging wire might chip them.

Bead Chain - I'm gonna have to think about that one, only way now would be one of the PP spray guns then how would you hang it to cure??

Fatman

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    Skip! You guys "over there" are teaching me bad habits! I've got some unpainted 1/32 and 1/16 oz heads and powder paint ordered, just figured I might try the powder paint for some fly eyes too.
    Bad habbits? We wouldn't do that, LOL! Hey jump on it if you want and can't hurt much to see if it will work, but I think it's gonna be really hard to cure that paint without making the beed chain not flexable at all. Not sure how you keep it straight without messing up the paint either, but if you can find a way to keep that chain straight while it cures then it may work since you will cut them into 2's, right?

Interesting, but sounds like it may be trouble.

Skip

Not quite on subject but I just dip beadchain into various colors of nail polish....hanging is no problem.

Normand Guest

Bass_Bug Guest

I would use thread to suspend the bead chain. Tie a slip knot, then cinch between the beads, and hang from there. After the curing process just snip off as close as you can. Any little tag will get covered when you lash the bead chain to the hook.

Not sure what process you're using, but there are some powder coat products, you dip the jig in and hang in a hot oven to cure.

It may be easier to just buy them, but if you already have the stuff, why not do it yourself? It's much cheaper at that point.
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 07-15-2010 at 02:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread