+ Reply to Thread

Thread: trip to Colorado and Montana

Hybrid View

Default trip to Colorado and Montana

Time for another trip advice question. We will be in Frisco Colorado for a few days the last of this month and then are going up to Livingston Montana for a few more days before forcing ourselves to return to Iowa's heat and humidity. I have read a little about the Blue River and Ten Mile Creek at Frisco and would ask for advice about where to fish there and what flies might work. Hopefully there are some local experts for both areas. For the Livingston leg I would like to fish in Yellowstone National Park and maybe in the Yellowstone River near Emigrant where the campground is located. Same questions where and what to use. I will not be hiking very far from roads or wife's line of sight( she is convinced I am now old and should not go off alone) so I understand that things might be crowded but I still think I should be able to catch a fish or two. Also I will need to do it all myself because no discretionary funds for a guide or float trip, much as i would love that. Thanks for any information you can pass along.

Bowmaker, you know of course that we live in Livingston Montana. There are several campgrounds on the Yellowstone, we would be delighted to aim you in the right direction. What dates do you expect to be here? You can email me dtravis@flyanglersonline.com or call 406-222-6530.
    Warm Regards,
    Deanna

It has been a long time and I was my first try at western small stream fishing, but I remember riding from Vail to Frisco to fish in what I remember as the Snake River. It was a small stream but had some nice trout in it, my friend showed me a couple. It's a short drive, and scenic drive to Vail, which has Gore Creek, a gold medal stream through the middle of town. I did manage to hang a couple of nice trout there and never encountered another fisherman or woman. Pretty country, I am envious.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Bowmaker, Check out www.coloradofishing.net. Also when you get there check for the latest ino at Cutthroat anglers in Silverthorn. The Blue is great fishing from Dillon Reservoir all the way to Green Mountain dam.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Thanks for the replies and Deanna I did just send you an e-mail, so thanks for suggestion. If my wife didn't keep telling me I'm not sure I would remember where I live!

Normand Guest

heres some flies to tie up for the blue river

http://www.danica.com/FLYTIER/nfrechette/nfrechette.htm

there is a road the parallels the blue river from the dam down through the outlet mall.
    Last edited by Normand; 07-16-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Blog Entries

there is a nifty fly shop in Emigrant, right across the bridge from a put-in that has some shore fishing possibilities. they would be happy to put you on to several other places to fish from shore. forget the name--possibly Angler's West?
    Last edited by CaseyP; 07-16-2010 at 01:36 AM.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

+ Reply to Thread